Question on down pipe and tuning...

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
So I'm looking at getting a turbo-back exhaust system for the wife's 2016 Ecoboost. I've been reading on the different setups from different vendors. Some of them offer complete turbo-back kits while other's I would have to piece together. My question is this... Why do some down pipe manufacturers state a tune is mandatory with their down pipe while others state a tune is not necessary? I'm speaking specifically about catted down pipes.

U.M.

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
Why do some say no tune and others say tune required?.....different points of view I guess. Will the car run with a catted down pipe and no tune?.....yes. Will the car throw a code.....yes. you'll need to clear that code to get inspection in states that require emissions testing.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the rear O2 a wideband? You can't simply turn it off with a tune because it does more than tell you the cat isn't working properly.

hope this helps

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Will a turbo back exhaust void your warranty? If so, make the most of it and get a tune :coolman:

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Why do some say no tune and others say tune required?.....different points of view I guess. Will the car run with a catted down pipe and no tune?.....yes. Will the car throw a code.....yes. you'll need to clear that code to get inspection in states that require emissions testing.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the rear O2 a wideband? You can't simply turn it off with a tune because it does more than tell you the cat isn't working properly.

hope this helps
No inspections in Alabama, so no problem there. The gauge cluster does report the A/F ratio, so I'm assuming there's a wide band sensor somewhere in the mix. The MAPerformance turbo-back kit claims "NO Check Engine Lights".

Will a turbo back exhaust void your warranty? If so, make the most of it and get a tune :coolman:
Will a turbo back exhaust void your warranty? :shrug: I know a tune would though!

U.M.

Users who are viewing this thread