Question on Lights on/staying on when turning off/exiting, how can I turn it off

TXRickC

Established Member
On my 2012, I open the door to get in, parking lights and interior come on. Headlight switch always off.

I drive, park and turn off ignition pull keys out and parking lights & interior are back on. They will shut off after some time or if I use remote to activate theft deterrent.

Ive been through the ownerd manual several times and searches. No luck.

Tried this, no luck either
Autolamps - programmable exit delay
Programmable exit delay allows the length of the autolamp exit delay to
be changed.
To program the auto lamp exit time delay:
1. Start with the ignition off and the headlamp control in the autolamp
position.
2. Turn the headlamp control to off.
3. Turn the ignition on and then back to off.
4. Turn the headlamp control to the autolamp position. The headlamps
will turn on.
5. Wait the desired amount of time for the exit delay you want (up to
three minutes), then turn the headlamps off.
You can also use the message center to program the autolamp exit time
delay. See Message center in the Instrument Cluster chapter.

AUTOLAMP (SEC)
This feature keeps your headlights on for up to three minutes after the
ignition is switched off.
Press RESET to select the new Autolamp delay values of 0, 10, 20, 30,
60, 90, 120 or 180 seconds.

Any ideas? had similar settings on my GMC Sierra and SRT Charger, both pretty easy to deactivate. hoping I can do the same on the mustang.

Last edited:

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
How about you go into settings using the set button on the info center. Use the info button to turn off the time delay, 0, 15, 30 seconds. Turn off the park light setting and the llights will stay off when you open the door. Turn the key off and when the door opens the lights turn off. Only thing is when you open the car with the Fob they just flash and don't stay on

TXRickC

Established Member
In guessing that's for a different model year cause I didn't see anything mentioned come up.

TXRickC

Established Member
Was tipped to check a 2010 Mustang owners manual (pdf online) and found this solution, but I tried it on the 2012 and had the horn chirping/honking to confirm but no change. :indifferent:

Perimeter lamps illuminated entry
With the Integrated Keyhead Transmitter system, the following items will illuminate when the unlock control on the transmitter is pressed:
• Headlamps
• Park lamps
• Tail lamps
The lamps will automatically turn off:
• if the ignition switch is turned to the on position,
• the Integrated Keyhead Transmitter lock control is pressed, or
• after 25 seconds of illumination.

Note: On some vehicles, the perimeter lamps illuminated entry feature will not activate in daylight conditions.
Deactivating/activating perimeter lamps illuminated entry
You may enable/disable this feature by having your vehicle serviced by your authorized dealer.
You may also perform the following power door lock sequence to enable/disable the perimeter lamps feature. Note: Before starting, ensure the ignition is in the off position and all vehicle doors are closed. You must complete Steps 1–5 within 30 seconds or the procedure will have to be repeated. If the procedure needs to be repeated, wait a minimum of 30 seconds before beginning again.
1. Place the key in the ignition and turn the ignition to the on position.
2. Press the power door unlock control on the door panel three times.
3. Turn the ignition from the on position to the off position.
4. Press the power door unlock control on the door panel three times.
5. Turn the ignition back to the on position. The horn will chirp one time to confirm programming mode has been entered and is active.
6. Press the power door unlock control twice within five seconds. Note: The horn will chirp once to indicate the perimeter lighting feature has been deactivated. The horn will chirp once and honk once (one short and one long) to indicate the perimeter lighting feature has been activated.
7. Turn the ignition to the off position to exit the procedure.

Note: The horn will chirp once to confirm the procedure is complete.
Illuminated exit
• When all vehicle doors are closed and the key is removed from the ignition, the interior dome lamp will illuminate.
The lights will turn off if all the doors remain closed and
• 25 seconds elapse, or
• the key is inserted in the ignition.

Users who are viewing this thread