question on t-5 tranny

whitefiveo

Established Member
i recently started hearing a noise when i would just start to take off in first and reverse kinda like a metal to metal clank... i originally thought it could be something coming from the rear end so i jacked the passenger side of the car up and grabbed the rear wheel while it was in gear and tried to turn it...

when it stopped moving forward it would make the noise, and when it stopped moving backwards it would make the same noise...

so i crawled under the car and grabbed the driveshaft and tried to turn it back and forth, it has about a 1/4 inch of play.. the noise is coming from toward the very back of the tranny

any suggestion on what is wrong that maybe i could fix or do i need to take it to a transmission shop?

Last edited:

whitefiveo

Established Member
whenever you try to twist the driveshaft while its in gear when it hits as far as it will turn both ways it makes a metal to metal to metal clank from inside the back of the transmission

whitefiveo

Established Member
how would i be able to tell if its the universal joint? should i just replace it and see if the noise goes away, i dont think they are that expensive...

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
From my experience in changing U-Joints, it's not the easiest nor the hardest thing to do, but I don't think you'd want to spend money that's not necessary.

If you can isolate the noise a little better, you stand a much better chance of getting it right the first time:rolling:. The front U-Joint is very close to the tail-piece of the transmission. I'd take it real slow, and determine if the noise is coming from the trans or the front U-Joint. Using the turning of the driveshaft method, I'd check it several times and make sure where the noise is. You'll be much better off if it's the U-Joint ... less work,, and less money. JMO

FWIW, while you're laying under the car, you can put a long thin screwdriver up against the U-Joint, and listen through the handle, while you're twisting the driveshaft slowly back and forth. If the noise isn't being transmitted from the trans, you should know. Again, JMO.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread