Question on Tire Size

Warp03Cobra

Community Racers
Established Member
I've got a set of the 18 x 9 FR500 Replical wheels on the way.

I'm really not sure of what size tyre to use. These tyres are for a "fair Weather" Drive only. It will never/rarely see bad weather, and it will only get about 2000 miles a year.

I want to race the occasional event in car shows when i'm allowed (no roll bar yet) so I want a road track type tyre. I'm either getting the nitto 555 or the Pirelly Uber expensive p zero rossa.

of these sizes, which will handle the best? I don't know if wider is worse or skinner better etc etc.

Thanks for the help. Here are the 3 choices.

265/35/18s
275/35/18s
285/30/18

Poison_S

Established Member
Tire Size

To keep the speedometer accurate without changing anything else on the car...the best tire up-sizing would be with the 275/35/18 or 285/35/18.

The 275/35/18 would be 0.3% smaller than the stock setup.
The 285/35/18 would be 0.8% larger then the stock setup.

Both are considered up-sizing matches and would have negligible effects on the speedometer.

0.3% smaller --> 1.003*65 mph = 65.2 mph speedo readout
0.8% larger ---> 0.992*65 mph = 64.5 mph speedo readout

The 285/30/18 you listed would be too small and would make the speedometer off by +4% or at 65 mph the speedo would actually read about 68 mph.

If you cannot get the 285/35/18, go with the 275/35/18.

Last edited:

Bingo13

Established Member
What type of suspension modifications do you plan on completing?

If you stay stock or close to stock then the 275/35/18 will give you the same tire profile as your current setup.
I would go for the Michelin Pilot Sport, Yokohama AVS Sport, or Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position in this particular size. The Yokohama and Bridgestone tires are better suited for track duty but the Michelins in my experience offer the best overall performance if you are doing track and street. I had the PZero Rosso Asimmetrico on my M3 and did not care for them.

If you plan on heavy suspension modifications then the 285/30/18 tire would be my choice. I would look at the BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KD tires for track racing but they are so-so in the wet.

Warp03Cobra

Community Racers
Established Member
I live in the mountains so I can't drop the car. I'd like to stiffen it up, but I have to do it while keeping the car relatively level to where it is now.

I have the AVS sports on the 99 thats for sale, and they really are sweet tyres. I just thought I'd try something new with the Nittos.

Thanks for the Info on the Pirellis, lot of $$$ to drop and not be happy.

Good info, thanks. I'll go for the 285/35/18s. I don't much care about the wet performance, other than I KEEP it on the road if I get caught in an unfortunate situation...

Bingo13

Established Member
At the 285/35/18 size I would go with the Yokohama AVS Sports for track duty and the occasional rainstorm. This will save you some money over the Pilot Sports.

Poison_S

Established Member
Tire Noise

Originally posted by Bingo13
At the 285/35/18 size I would go with the Yokohama AVS Sports for track duty and the occasional rainstorm. This will save you some money over the Pilot Sports.

Those Yokohamas get WAY loud once they wear past half tread. A buddy of mine has them and the noise sounds like a truck going down the road.

I have the PZero Rossos on my S4 summer wheels. Great tires and little to no noise.
:thumbsup:

Bingo13

Established Member
Re: Tire Noise

Originally posted by Poison_S
Those Yokohamas get WAY loud once they wear past half tread. A buddy of mine has them and the noise sounds like a truck going down the road.

I have the PZero Rossos on my S4 summer wheels. Great tires and little to no noise.
:thumbsup:

I agree about the noise but at only 2000 miles a year it will be a while before he hears them. ;-) I would still go with the Pilot Sports over the PZero but that is based upon my experience with an M3 and not a Cobra.

CobraTone

Established Member
2000 miles a year? DAMN. I do that in like a month. You are making me feel bad.

Users who are viewing this thread