question reguarding cylinder heads

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
I was wondering why I see many people switch to ported 03 heads rather than ported FR500's. It was my understanding that the FR500's out flowed all the other 4 valve heads out there except the Ford GT heads. The reason I bring it up is that I'm thinking of doing a conversion soon and was looking at the FR500's. But some people are switching to 03's. For instance Nazman swapped his ported FR500's for ported 04's. Should I be looking at used 03 heads instead?

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Due to their cost and the fact that ported 03/04s are just as good for most applications. Also, 03/04s are better for FI applications due to their larger volume and higher flowing exhaust port.

coolguy10786

Established Member
Thats why i went with ported 01s. Cost is a lot less compared to 03/04 and especially fr500. Like Nasvt said, if your looking for FI i would try to find a set of 03/04s, otherwise just get a set of 99/01s with a quality port job.

Nazman

Established Member
The primary reason Im utilizing the 03-Up castings is as NA stated. More volume to start with on the intake port (17cc) than the FR500s and lots more volume exhaust port that is better suited for a FId application.

The FR500 is a great head, and has great qualities but I feel that on my new combo the 03-Up head would be much better.

Coolguy has made an great point. You can pick up a set for C-head (99-01) for cheap now a days and with a little of work they can make flow very well.

Naz

Users who are viewing this thread