question

Shadows

if i take a '99 or '01 cobra, forge the internals and put '03/'04 heads on it, would i basically have an '03/'04 cobra motor(minus the s/c)??

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
yes, I would go forged pistons, better rods, different cams, possibly fr500 kit and be the same or better than an 03/04. Aluminum block:shrug:

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
The fr500 is a 5.0 kit. I'm interested in possibly doing this also but wondering where I would get the forged "intenals". Looked on the FRPP site but didn't find anything specific . . .

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
unless you can get all these components cheap...i'd look for an 03/04 engine complete.....maybe minus blower, then put a turbo on it....

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
the 03 shortblock is nothing special. the manley rods are fine and so is the crank. the pistons are pretty weaknuts and it uses an iron block.

for a forged build up, id want a much better piston then a zollner 4032 slug with teflon coating.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by quadcammer
the 03 shortblock is nothing special. the manley rods are fine and so is the crank. the pistons are pretty weaknuts and it uses an iron block.

for a forged build up, id want a much better piston then a zollner 4032 slug with teflon coating.

the pistons aren't that bad for most people....600 rwhp reliably...i'd say that's pretty decent...plus if he got the complete engine he wouldn't have to pay for machining and assembly, that was my point....

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
i wouldn't push 600 on those things for very long.

most KB and whipple owners have fried their pistons. they don't like heat and blowers really like to add that.

the shortblock is like 4k too. for that, you can get a fully assembled VT engines shortblock with some better stuff

Shadows

so then maybe i'll just get an '03 cobra motor for as cheap as i can get it. i was thinking of taking blades' route, sticking with the stock s/c and putting a smaller pulley

Users who are viewing this thread