Question...

Mustangbadboy

Established Member
Current setup: BBK Long Tubes, Offroad-X, Flowmaster Super 40 catback with 3” tips

Problem - Not only is the car not loud enough but it also sounds like the airflow is restricted. I went to a mechanic and he said that long tubes and x-pipe work better with borlas as they have a straight through design.

Question - Am I better off going with a Borla Stinger catback with 4” tips or am I better off switching to a offroad H-Pipe instead as I read on here that H-Pipes generally work better with flowmasters? Not sure...any help would be great from you guys.

Goal - to have a exhaust that has a deeper, louder tone and not sound raspy. Definitely want to turn heads but not like Borla Ataks which sound too raspy to me. Just a solid muscle car sound is what I am going for.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
Stingers, not Stingrays.

Didn't you already have a thread like this? Anyway, switch to an H pipe. It'll change the tone of the exhaust. If it's not loud enough at that point delete the mufflers.

It's not necessarily what "works" better. More about what sounds better. I do realize that's subjective, but generally an H pipe sounds better with chambered mufflers and an X pipe sounds better with straight through mufflers. There really is no power difference between the two designs.

Mustangbadboy

Established Member
Thanks boss!
Stingers, not Stingrays.

Didn't you already have a thread like this? Anyway, switch to an H pipe. It'll change the tone of the exhaust. If it's not loud enough at that point delete the mufflers.

It's not necessarily what "works" better. More about what sounds better. I do realize that's subjective, but generally an H pipe sounds better with chambered mufflers and an X pipe sounds better with straight through mufflers. There really is no power difference between the two designs.

I appreciate the help as always

Last edited:

jman37

Established Member
I have BBK lt's, o/r X pipe and I had Super 44's, all 2.5" piping and no tips. It was plenty loud, but I didn't necessarily like the sound. I got some Stingers and 3" tips and now it's much louder and sounds the way I wanted it to.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Ran an H with Borla Stingers on my 04 Cobra, loved it. X is gonna be more raspy.

Mustangbadboy

Established Member
Looks like I will either switch out to a H-pipe or go Borla Stingers...I have the setup in place with Longtubes already its just a matter of what will sound better with what.

Choice 1- long tubes, offroad x, borla stingers, 4” tips

Choice 2 - long tubes, offroad-h, flowmasters super 40 catback, 3” tips

Users who are viewing this thread