Questions about 93-95 lightnings

fastfive_ogt

Established Member
I was just wondering which lightnings where roller motors. What kinda aftermarket world is there behind these things too. (meaning 1st gens) I was thinking of buying one after owning like 20 stangs and its either another 94-95 cobra or a lightning. I can't decide. Help me on my decision. I'm just curious if I am going to end up making parts work on the lightning or if theres a large aftermarket behind these trucks. Love the way they look and starting out with a 5.8l is great. I hear they are 240hp and 340 torque. Thanks for all the help in advance.

REDSVT150

Established Member
The rollers started in 94 and as far as a huge aftermarket I guess it would depend on what you are looking for. I own both a 94 and a 02.

Brad

Whaler

Established Member
REDSVT150 said:
The rollers started in 94 and as far as a huge aftermarket I guess it would depend on what you are looking for. I own both a 94 and a 02.

Brad

That would be cool to have both. I am looking very hard for a Gen 1, to be a daily driver to go with my Gen 2.

Dreddstang

Wing-Less Bastard!!
Established Member
Some of the later '93's had roller blocks, also. You just have to check the casting number by the starter on the block. I never checked mine, but seeing as mine is a '93 and #81, one of the first 100 Lightnings, I doubt I have a roller motor...:shrug:

hotrod93

Established Member
I was just wondering which lightnings where roller motors. What kinda aftermarket world is there behind these things too. (meaning 1st gens) I was thinking of buying one after owning like 20 stangs and its either another 94-95 cobra or a lightning. I can't decide. Help me on my decision. I'm just curious if I am going to end up making parts work on the lightning or if theres a large aftermarket behind these trucks. Love the way they look and starting out with a 5.8l is great. I hear they are 240hp and 340 torque. Thanks for all the help in advance.

Just to clarify a bit, the gen 1 Lightnings only had roller ready blocks. The 93 Lightning I owned was number 1576 of 5276 and had a roller block in it. So based on that you really can't go off of the year (only on 93's, 94 and 95 had roller blocks) to determine if it has the roller block or not. You'll just have to crawl under the truck and look at the casting number by the starter and if it starts with F4TE then it's roller ready.

240hp and 340tq were conservative numbers when it comes to the power these trucks had. My 93 put down 226hp at 316tq on a dynojet with nothing more than a K&N filter in the factory airbox and a Bassani catback. This was also on a 100* day with about 80% humidity.

I know not everyone here is a fan of the NLOC, but there really is alot of good information on that site about gen1's. www.nloc.net

Last edited:

FastazzL

Hot Potato Handler
Established Member
800-367-3788 (800-ford-svt) and give them the VIN. I think it cost like $40 to get the certificate but they should give you the build number over the phone.

As far as aftermarket for the trucks, there is enough to keep you busy if you still want to keep it you DD. Full exhaust, intake, cam, supercharger, turbo, nos, suspension kits, all sorts of stuff. The stock blocks can take quite a bit. I have heard of people running 500+ hp with no problem (maybe not for a DD though). Some of the most common mods are a stock H.O 5.0 cam, NOS, Intake, exhaust, retard the timing, and under drive pulleys. I am still very new to the gen 1's, only had mine for 2 months, but they are very fun to drive. If you have a chance to drive one and you haven't yet, go for it. With the stock headers and the 351, it had a nice sound from the factory and a bit of pull as well. The price is not too bad also. I picked up my 95 with 97k on it for $7,200.

fordfx497

Established Member
hey whats goin on i currently own a 94 lightning and there is much to say about it i would really go for the lightning cause they are one of a kind and alot of fun to drive great power and torque they get up and go the price is pretty good to i bought mine for 6900$ and not a dam thing wrong and its really clean its got some mods too k/n, phenolic spacer,complete exhause,took off the air pump, underdrive pulley on the crank only.. i ran the exhause like a gen 2 infront of the wheel i like it alot there is lots of mods out there u just have to look.......... if u ask me gen 1 all the way

terminator67

1967 mustangfastback 4.6L
hello i am a new member i have a 1994 lightning and i have owned it since 2000 and i have been lookng for a site like this for awhile now i have aced mine in stock trim since igot it only mods are under drive pullies and best times to date are 15.15 at 96mph i do have a new engine being built for it using a sportsman block making it a 392 with victor junoir heads and a roller cam taking out stock trans and putting in a lentec trans for a mustang so i can use a mustang harness andcomputer for mass air

Charlie41

SiFi junky
Established Member
hello i am a new member i have a 1994 lightning and i have owned it since 2000 and i have been lookng for a site like this for awhile now i have aced mine in stock trim since igot it only mods are under drive pullies and best times to date are 15.15 at 96mph i do have a new engine being built for it using a sportsman block making it a 392 with victor junoir heads and a roller cam taking out stock trans and putting in a lentec trans for a mustang so i can use a mustang harness andcomputer for mass air

You can use the A9L computer, but you will have to keep the stock comp for the trans. If you want to go MAS air, you may want to wait till some one is selling their setup. And if your cam lobe separation does not go over 114. deg. your S/D comp will be fine. But you will need a tweecer to tune the increased cubes.

Charlie

FastazzL

Hot Potato Handler
Established Member
Check out NLOC.net. The gen 1 forum over there has a little more activity then this one and a lot of guys are familiar with a tweecer. All I know is that it is used for tuning.

Users who are viewing this thread