Questions about 95 R

mach4mark

Macher03
Established Member
Hey all,

I've been mostly a lurker than a poster, but I need some help. :read:

I am considering trading my turbocharged 2003 Mach 1 for a 95 R #199 which is on a local car lot here in Western North Carolina. This car has been on eBay and has not sold for a while due to the blue LeMans stripes the original owner put on it. Personally, I like the stripes, but if I end up with the car, I probably will re-paint the car to restore it to original. My purpose to own the car is for showing, auto-x and drag race occansionally, and drive on nice sunny days. Are there any issues with 95 R's that I should be prepared for? I know a basic history of the 95 R as it is a purpose-built car for road racing, but any other things I should consider? Thanks for the help in advanced!

Mark

1993R

Established Member
Fuel cell bladders must be periodically replaced. They have a tendency to leak and not hold the full amount of fuel.

mach4mark

Macher03
Established Member
Fuel cell bladders must be periodically replaced. They have a tendency to leak and not hold the full amount of fuel.

Yeah, I wondered about that. Are they hard to replace or do they have to be professionally done?

Established Member
fuel cell

The fuel cell replacement cost is north of $1500. Recently finished mine.

Steve

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
That '95R needs a home! It's been for sale for a LONG time. If not for those stripes.. it would have sold long ago. Save it! :burnout:

BTW... that same lot had my (Andy's) 00R.

Last edited:

mach4mark

Macher03
Established Member
That '95R needs a home! It's been for sale for a LONG time. If not for those stripes.. it would have sold long ago. Save it! :burnout:

BTW... that same lot had my (Andy's) 00R.

I'll do my best!:beer:

What a small world. I saw the two 00R's - very nice. In fact, the owner kept one of them, I'll find out what number.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
Look that 95R over closely for previous wreck damage. When it was on ebay the pictures posted showed that the rear bumper retaining screws in the fenderwell lips where painted white. Those screws were black from the factory on all mustangs no matter the body color. So it has had some white paint work on at least the rear bumper area.

cobrakidz

High mileage R
Established Member
I almost bought that car last summer, the shipping costs finally killed the deal. It would be a fun car to have, but you also have to figure in the cost of a repaint onto the purchase price. Once I aded in those 2 costs it added about $5k onto the price. Someone needs to enjoy this car, it's been sitting for a long time.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
I was looking at that car this summer and talked to the owner. My only real concerns were the price being somewhat more than market considering the required paint job and that its been sitting outside thru the mountain winters and getting snowed on and such.

mach4mark

Macher03
Established Member
In response to a couple posts regarding wreck damage/repainting:

The person I spoke to at the car lot told me the front drivers side quarter panel was backed into by a customer on the lot. The dent was 'minor', pulled out and touched up, but there was overspray in the engine bay if I remember correctly.

I will check the car over, especially the rear end for the black screws versus white. I have a really knowledgable friend who can look at the car objectively going with me. Thanks for all the good info! :beer:

bearsnake

Established Member
In response to a couple posts regarding wreck damage/repainting:

The person I spoke to at the car lot told me the front drivers side quarter panel was backed into by a customer on the lot. The dent was 'minor', pulled out and touched up, but there was overspray in the engine bay if I remember correctly.

I will check the car over, especially the rear end for the black screws versus white. I have a really knowledgable friend who can look at the car objectively going with me. Thanks for all the good info! :beer:

Look for white overspray over the wheel openings. I have seen this car as well.

1993R

Established Member
I spoke to the guy via e-mail a couple of months ago and got the impression the car was in the 22-24k range. They are basing the price on the low mileage. Reality its in the 16-18k range because of paint and presentation.

Users who are viewing this thread