Questions About Boost and daily driving

MysticCobra281

JaysonBourne
Established Member
hey guys. im running a 96 cobra and Im getting ready to install a d1sc procharger.. this is the first time ive ran boost so I have some questions. im planning on doing 3 tunes. 1 on 18psi and pump gas, 1 on 18psi and e85 then one on about 24psi on e85... I have a friend who I trust telling me that they tend to heat up when u daily drive them on that much boost. the only reason I went with a procharger in the first place is because I thought they stayed cool on normal driving and were way better all around than a roots style. my pistons are not coated but I have a very strong bottom end. so I guess my question is.... can I daily drive my car on 24psi and be safe.. and if not, is there anything I can buy to keep it cool so I can? any info would be really appreciated.. thank u

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
It's not like you're in boost every time you drive the car. As long as the tune isn't on the ragged edge you'll be fine. I daily drove a D1 with a big bore stroker for a couple years with no issues. Granted I was only at 14psi, but that was with a bigger engine and full exhaust. I didn't daily my F1A set up but I did drive it to Vegas and around town quite a bit. That was on 19psi.

MysticCobra281

JaysonBourne
Established Member
thats what I was thinking. I didn't understand how it could produce that much heat if it wasn't under boost.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I had my F1A pullied for 19psi and I was never more than a few degrees above ambient when I was on it. When driving normally I was right around ambient.

Your friend might have been thinking of air to water. I've noticed in my 04 temps will get a little warmer at part throttle. But as soon as I hit boost they drop right down.

Users who are viewing this thread