Questions about flying to Italy

only a gt

Established Member
I'm planning on a trip to Italy with my girlfriend at the end of the month or the beginning of August, and I'm wondering if it would be cheaper to book tickets now or wait until a week or so out? I always thought it was cheaper to get them well in advance, but I heard that sometimes the price will drop drastically a week or so out because the airline wants to fill any open seats. I checked on flights departing the 29th, and they were around 1200 per person. Then I checked on flights leaving the 9th, (to see if they were less expensive booking less than a week in advance)) and they were only about 700. I'm not sure if I want to take that kind of gamble and wait until the third week of July to try and get tickets though. Anyone have any insight?

Last edited:

DefCon3

Established Member
Don't bet on cheaper rates a week or two before. Airlines are cutting flights to minimize empty seats and discount rates. In fact, don't even bet on getting a seat if you wait too long...

Last

Established Member
My dad just got back from there, for $700 I would be suspicious of your plane having enough fuel to make it.

SVTullio

Typical Vette Driver
Established Member
2 way ticket for me a couple weeks before Christmas was $850, that was about a year and half ago. 700 sounds reasonable.

Thats a couple weeks before christmas, not the peak tourism time of summer. My family goes to Italy every year in the summer, and the tickets average about $1200-$1500.

Not sure how the OP found $700 but that is an absolute steal.

**Edit just looked at the OP's location...I'm sure flying from and back to the west coast is more expensive that flying from and back to the east coast...

Last edited:

jcthorne

Established Member
Check rates for tickets out of Toronto. For many euro zone destinations its MUCH cheaper to fly from Canada than the US due to taxes.

Last time I flew to Paris, it was $400 cheaper to book a Houston Toronto ticket plus a Toronto Paris ticket than to book Houston - Paris and the connections were about the same.

only a gt

Established Member
My dad just got back from there, for $700 I would be suspicious of your plane having enough fuel to make it.
:lol1:

Leave your gf at home. Save $$ and there are plenty of Italian chicks there.

If she continues to shoot down my suggestions for a crazy euro orgy with said Italian chicks, this may be my only course of action.

Flown back and forth to italy numerous times, take the 700 dollars, thats the absolute cheapest fare I have seen going to Italy.

I would, but that was for a flight leaving on the 9th; we are not going until the end of July or beginning of August.

Check rates for tickets out of Toronto. For many euro zone destinations its MUCH cheaper to fly from Canada than the US due to taxes.

Last time I flew to Paris, it was $400 cheaper to book a Houston Toronto ticket plus a Toronto Paris ticket than to book Houston - Paris and the connections were about the same.

Thanks, I'll look into that.

Another thought I just had, I think Orbitz has price assurance so if I book with them and the tickets get cheaper they send me a check for the difference. At least that's what the commercials tell me, I'm a bit skeptical myself. Anyone have them do that?

only a gt

Established Member
I've taken my share of flights courtesy of the government. I think I'd rather pay to come and go as I please.

Has anyone used the name your price option on Priceline? We are flexible on dates and times, so I was thinking that might be a good way to go about it.

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
When I flew to Germany a few years ago, my round trip ticket was around $750.

That was me purchasing the ticket about a 4-5 weeks in advance IIRC.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
God damn $700 to Italy?take em... cost me $480 to fly from San Antonio to Pittsburgh and i bought em 6 mths in advance.....i fly out on wed.

Users who are viewing this thread