Questions about installing a front mount intercooler

4.6 Rocket

Established Member
Currently I am running a vortech V2 on 8lbs with no intercooler using the stock 3.6 pulley. This week I am adding a 24X12X3 front mount intercooler. How much boost should I expect to loose? I have a 3.33 pulley laying around if the boost drop is significant.

I am not planning on making much more power than what I am currently putting down, I just want the power I have to be safer. Any tips or suggestions you guys have for me I will really apreciate. Thanks.

SVTDom

cheetah on cocaine
Established Member
ehh its hard to tell, ive seen some that lost 1-2psi of boost and some that actully gained 1psi by redline.

its going to be trial and error, like you said, if it looses boost, throw the 3.3 on and try it.

goodluck man, hope that helps.

Furinox

Established Member
I was in the same position and only made 7psi with the 3.33 after adding a front mount.

Had to go to a 2.9 to make 12 lbs with the front mount.

tjs98gt

Established Member
depends on the brand of the intercooler. kevin @ wicked tested my car with an ebay one and a treadstone and the difference was ridiculous. we lost about 7-8#s through the ebay one. but many people run ebay coolers without that problem. those ebay ones are hit or miss. i went with the treadstone because it really wasnt that expensive but the quality is much better

4.6 Rocket

Established Member
I was in the same position and only made 7psi with the 3.33 after adding a front mount.

Had to go to a 2.9 to make 12 lbs with the front mount.

Tonight I went out and data logged my car. Everything looks really good on my tune and my AFR was definitely on the rich side. Screw it, I am going to install the 3.33 pulley and then re data log my car and watch the boost level. From there I will make adjustments on my tune to compensate for the extra cooler air. I am going to start tearing the car apart tomorrow and will hopefully have it finished up by the weekend. I know that you recently installed your front mount and I really like how you installed it. Do you have any more pictures or any suggestions before I start. Thanks.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Yeah I'm gonna be hitting Furinox up for advice too when I do my Vortech, he's got a Nice Setup! I like the sound of easy maintainance with the air to air!

Furinox

Established Member
depends on the brand of the intercooler. kevin @ wicked tested my car with an ebay one and a treadstone and the difference was ridiculous. we lost about 7-8#s through the ebay one. but many people run ebay coolers without that problem. those ebay ones are hit or miss. i went with the treadstone because it really wasnt that expensive but the quality is much better

is your treadstone vertical core instead of horizontal?

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
I wouldnt worry about loosing boost, you will pick up more power with the colder air and more timing..

NITROS COBRA

Established Member
I lost 1 psi when i went with air to air intercooler. With that said i made 386 without and 430 with, i may have lost psi but i gained hp. 03 mustang GT Vortech t trim.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Damm 45HP from that Paxton air to air NITROS COBRA? Sweet!
Was it in your 03GT Vortech you were talking about?
Any link to its pics or a part number so I could check it out? approximate price? thanks!

Furinox

Established Member

Just installed a treadstone vertical core to see if there is a difference on my car compared to the horizontal core intercooler. Will probably be hitting the dyno friday to find out.

tjs98gt

Established Member
is your treadstone vertical core instead of horizontal?

yupp. its vertical. just got word last night my t-trim is huffing 22#s through it during tuning yesterday.

and yeah boost loss is typical, 1-2#s is acceptable, but 7-8# or more is not regardless and WILL result in a loss of power. with only 1-2#s lost you will still gain power because the air charge is much cooler.

Last edited:

Chris98vobra

Too much boost
Established Member
Just installed a treadstone vertical core to see if there is a difference on my car compared to the horizontal core intercooler. Will probably be hitting the dyno friday to find out.

That will be an interesting test. However, will the ambient temps be the same? Given our Texas heat spell if the dyno is considerably hotter it may not be a great comparision. However, you are likely to see more boost. The cooling of the core my not be quite as good.

Furinox

Established Member
That will be an interesting test. However, will the ambient temps be the same? Given our Texas heat spell if the dyno is considerably hotter it may not be a great comparision. However, you are likely to see more boost. The cooling of the core my not be quite as good.

shouldn't be too much different. I maintain the website for the shop so I get on the dyno pretty early in the morning while it's still cool.

Furinox

Established Member
yupp. its vertical. just got word last night my t-trim is huffing 22#s through it during tuning yesterday.

and yeah boost loss is typical, 1-2#s is acceptable, but 7-8# or more is not regardless and WILL result in a loss of power. with only 1-2#s lost you will still gain power because the air charge is much cooler.

What pulley combo are you running?

Users who are viewing this thread