questions about launching with a spec 3+

spleen04

Tooty Fn Fruity
Established Member
I have yet to run the car since I put the new clutch and flywheel in. For people using the spec 3+ what rpm are you leaving at? Are you jumping it or easing it out?

Let me know...Thanks in advance

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
This depends more on what rear tires you're running, as opposed to your clutch setup. Street tires, drag radials, or slicks?

geeteego

What???
Established Member
I've left as high as 4500 on stickies (275 DR's) and had it hold great...it's getting to be time for a twin-disk. (I'm in another IRS car that's maybe a couple hundred pounds heavier).

The bitch of the 3+, at least in my car, is the never-ending chatter.

jeffs

Established Member
I've left as high as 4500 on stickies (275 DR's) and had it hold great...it's getting to be time for a twin-disk. (I'm in another IRS car that's maybe a couple hundred pounds heavier).

The bitch of the 3+, at least in my car, is the never-ending chatter.

Just rolled over 200 miles while breaking in my Spec 3+ and the chatter is the same as the day it was installed. My only hope is that it slowly goes away as my stock clutch chattered until approx. 3000 miles.

Snakesvt04

SCREW THIS
Established Member
i have left at 5,000, but using 28x10 slicks. in fact never even broke the clutch in. straight to the track after intstall. i'm happy with it

IronTerp

It took 800-900 miles for my Spec 3+ chatter/shudder to go away. Now, it's like a stock clutch as far as street driveability.

geeteego

What???
Established Member
Just rolled over 200 miles while breaking in my Spec 3+ and the chatter is the same as the day it was installed. My only hope is that it slowly goes away as my stock clutch chattered until approx. 3000 miles.

Hopefully it gets better for you. It might have been my break-in procedure...who knows. I have heard many other GTO guys complaining.

i have left at 5,000, but using 28x10 slicks. in fact never even broke the clutch in. straight to the track after intstall. i'm happy with it

Brave soul. If I tried that, I'd rip off my fenders and blow IRS parts all over the track.

It took 800-900 miles for my Spec 3+ chatter/shudder to go away. Now, it's like a stock clutch as far as street driveability.

Even pedal effort?

drptitan

Established Member
On the bfg drags and stock IRS I was leaving at 4k slipping it and I have had no problems. Not saying it hooked haha, but didnt hurt anything.

IronTerp

I have an LDC freeplay kit so the pedal effort is comparable to stock. One thing I did do was go with a steel flywheel. They'll tkae 12-15 RWHP away from you, but generally are more streetable and certainly nice at the track!

geeteego

What???
Established Member
I have an LDC freeplay kit so the pedal effort is comparable to stock. One thing I did do was go with a steel flywheel. They'll tkae 12-15 RWHP away from you, but generally are more streetable and certainly nice at the track!

At the power levels these cars are producing, 15whp is not a big enough deal to sacrifice a little peace of mind and get some drivability back. The only time I see a benefit to a lighter flywheel is roadracing.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
On BFG drags I'd start out at 3k and slip the clutch out the hole. From there lower or raise your rpms until you've figured out how well that particular track hooks. Every car and track is going to be different. But with a drag radial you're most likely not going to be able to just dump the clutch from home. But they are sticky enough where a quick slip should get you going nicely. Just practice, be patient as the first few passes are going to suck, and have fun!!!

Users who are viewing this thread