Questions about my f1a setup

dustsvt

Established Member
I'm in the last stages (hopefully) of my f1a build and had a few random questions for you guys. first off, let me start off with the motor. its still a standard bore 4.6 (diamond 9.1/1 pistons and manley h-beams, with arp everything.) ported intake matched to the accufab single.I have a set of 01 C heads that were sent to fox lake for stage 3 port job. then heads went to mmr to have ford gt valves installed and a competion valve job. I'm going to run a set of ford gt cams as well. I have an f1a with the 5.40 step ratio.

my questions.

I'm using a innov. west 10% overdrive and a 3.75 8-rib blower pulley, I'm hoping to end up in the 20 - 25 psi range.. am I close?

I had originally decided to go with a ba3000 and a set of 60's, but came to the conclusion thats probably not going to cover it. so I switched out in favor of the pmas hpx slot style meter and am undecided on the injectors. Anyone thats run an f1a, should I be in the 83lb range? also I assume once i'm over a 60lb injector i'll have to go low impedence?

I've seen a lot of setups of custom power pipes and such and decided to buy a HKS mushroom shaped filter to run right over the procharger inlet. The filter is massive and should provide no restriction for the blower. Has anyone run a mushroom style filter right over the blower? how well did it work out?

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
yes you should see the boost you want, depending on how well your exhaust and heads flow i would guess your going to be around 22-23psi
i would go with the 83's
that meter should be good though
I think procharger sells that cone mesh mushroom your talking about.
its not a fillter though, its just a mesh screen that keeps bigger objects from going into the blower.

dustsvt

Established Member
Is there anything in particular I should look for in an injector driver? or are they a fairly standard item, provided they are for 4,8,10 injectors etc?

I already have the hks filter, I can't see it preventing any flow at all. I've seen them in use on many turbo setups (not mustangs actually, but how different can the air intake characteristics be between turbo and sc). I wasn't sure if the power pipes and custom setups added any velocity to the intake because of the bend I would be missing out on...or whether air flow is air flow in that case.

spray175

Established Member
i ran 60lb injectors on my F1A setup which made 25psi.

Do you need a hpx slot style meter or do you already have one? I have one Im trying to sell thats brand new. Have the meter and the adaptor.

dustsvt

Established Member
wish I would have ran into you about a month ago when I bought my hpx meter/pigtail/flange. What kind of #'s were you putting down with the f1a. I heard of people having trouble with 60's once they got up near 700rwhp

WDW MKR

Established Member
Run the Lucas or RC 75# high impedence injectors and you won't need a driver. Lethal also has a set of custom high impedence 79# injectors.

dustsvt

Established Member
I had heard there were problems with the high imp injectors above the 60's, with poor driveabilty and and tuning issues. Has anyone run any of the larger high imp. injectors with success?

Dan Schoneck

Established Member
Run a versafueler injector driver. With the innovators west 10% balencer are you switching to 8 rib?

I have made over 700rwhp with a stock 03 cobra with the 6 rib and 4'' pulley but as soon as i tried to wick it up it had belt problems. Now i did a 8rib conversion and f1c upgrade. My step up ratio was also 5.73 on my blower. The gt cams on a centrifical will be done at 6200 i would recommend gettin a set of comp cams, as i had some customs ones made, about 218 duration and .480 lift.

dustsvt

Established Member
Its an 8-rib setup. I would have liked to went cog, but found a good deal on the 8 rib pullies and decided to give it a shot. I'm going to take it to evolution perf to be tuned once its completed. Would I be able to fire the motor up to make sure it starts without washing out the cylinders? I was going to have a tuned with sct software (xcal2).

WDW MKR

Established Member
I had heard there were problems with the high imp injectors above the 60's, with poor driveabilty and and tuning issues. Has anyone run any of the larger high imp. injectors with success?

No issues with my 75# injectors. Everyone I know running them is happy.

spray175

Established Member
Im still running 60lb injector with my turbo setup making 750rwhp. I havent had any problems with them.

The procharger kit made 746rwhp at 25psi.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzW02kuyavQ"]YouTube - F1A Procharged 03 Cobra Flyby[/ame]

It took a long time to hit boost with 355 gears.

dustsvt

Established Member
Actually i've already seen that video, I had searched on there for vids of f1a setups. Sounds like you have it vented to the atmosphere. I bought one of the new tial Q 50mm bov's instead of the big red procharger one.

WDW MKR

Established Member
Actually i've already seen that video, I had searched on there for vids of f1a setups. Sounds like you have it vented to the atmosphere. I bought one of the new tial Q 50mm bov's instead of the big red procharger one.

How does the Tial compare in size? You want a huge bypass valve, as this thing moves a ton of air at low speed when you're pullied up.

WDW MKR

Established Member
Im still running 60lb injector with my turbo setup making 750rwhp. I havent had any problems with them.

The procharger kit made 746rwhp at 25psi.

YouTube - F1A Procharged 03 Cobra Flyby

It took a long time to hit boost with 355 gears.

That's killer power. I expect a bit lower with my semi-ported Cobra intake, but the mid-range is much improved. I'll be swapping in my 4.10 gears as soon as I finish dyno tuning and identify the shift point. Just want to make sure the 4.10 won't be too steep.

LOVESBOOST

Established Member
You might wanna look into having Dave Guy tune your car, in Dillsburg PA, the shop used to be Kauffman motorsports, can't remember what they changed it to though. ANyhow thats who tuned mine, very good at getting good power safely from mod motored cars

spray175

Established Member
That's killer power. I expect a bit lower with my semi-ported Cobra intake, but the mid-range is much improved. I'll be swapping in my 4.10 gears as soon as I finish dyno tuning and identify the shift point. Just want to make sure the 4.10 won't be too steep.

I think the 4.10's will be perfect, down low is what killed me.

Users who are viewing this thread