questions about open track racing

jhonda

Established Member
I am going to Virginia internation Raceway for the Svt Superfest next sunday the 27th. I will be driving my 2000 lightning. Mods are 3lb lower, 2lb upper, hot air intake, 90mm maf, magnaflow catback, tr6s, Vb, dyno tune, home ported blower, lowered don't know what springs(on it when I bought it), slapper bars, strange adjustable rear shocks.

My questions are
1. What should I watch on my laptop as far as sensors. I plan on dataloging each session(30mins) I have a airfuel gauge but don't know what else to watch except for my air temps after the blower
2. Should I add some race fuel to my 93 that I normally run. I have access to most of the VP fuels.
3. I bought a stock heat exchanger awhile back. Should I go ahead and combine that with my existing heat exchanger or would it be worth it.
4. Should I adjust my rear shocks stiffer or softer to keep my rear end from sliding around during the switch backs and turns etc. I also have slapper bars should they be adjusted where they usually are for drag racing.
5. Any other suggestions tips...etc I plan on adding some brake ducts where my fog lights are but again don't know if it is worth it.

This will be my first time on a road course with my truck. I have a good been on the track before a few times in my svt focus. and have been on a couple of tracks with my old foxbody. But our lightnings are a different beast.

Sorry for all the questions but trying to stay safe and still have fun.
Thanks for the input,
Jason Earnhardt

I will have some videos posted after I go. There also suppose to be the new 2013 mustang cobra and focus st there for charity ride alongs at speed.

racebronco2

Established Member
I am going to Virginia internation Raceway for the Svt Superfest next sunday the 27th. I will be driving my 2000 lightning. Mods are 3lb lower, 2lb upper, hot air intake, 90mm maf, magnaflow catback, tr6s, Vb, dyno tune, home ported blower, lowered don't know what springs(on it when I bought it), slapper bars, strange adjustable rear shocks.

My questions are
1. What should I watch on my laptop as far as sensors. I plan on dataloging each session(30mins) I have a airfuel gauge but don't know what else to watch except for my air temps after the blower
2. Should I add some race fuel to my 93 that I normally run. I have access to most of the VP fuels.
3. I bought a stock heat exchanger awhile back. Should I go ahead and combine that with my existing heat exchanger or would it be worth it.
4. Should I adjust my rear shocks stiffer or softer to keep my rear end from sliding around during the switch backs and turns etc. I also have slapper bars should they be adjusted where they usually are for drag racing.
5. Any other suggestions tips...etc I plan on adding some brake ducts where my fog lights are but again don't know if it is worth it.

This will be my first time on a road course with my truck. I have a good been on the track before a few times in my svt focus. and have been on a couple of tracks with my old foxbody. But our lightnings are a different beast.

Sorry for all the questions but trying to stay safe and still have fun.
Thanks for the input,
Jason Earnhardt

I will have some videos posted after I go. There also suppose to be the new 2013 mustang cobra and focus st there for charity ride alongs at speed.

1. I usually record the ait2's, engine temps, timing and rpms.

2. Some people back off the timing and richen up the fuel a little to keep the temps down. I just use 91 octane myself.

3. The more surface area the better your ait2 temps will be. I added two on my car which made no difference, so i lowered the boost from 15psi to 12 psi with the same tune with lowered the ait2's from 170* down to 140*. With the 15psi tune the timing was 18* and a/f was 10.6 above 5500rpms with the 12 psi pulley. With the 15 pulley the a/f was 11.4.

4. Any suspension adjustments should be done at the track depending on how the truck is handling. Making the rear stiffer in general will make the truck oversteer. I would guess you will need to add air in the fronts up to about 40psi hot and keep the rear soft at first and tires pressure at about 36 hot. That would be a good starting point. Drive the truck in balance which means listen to how the tires are squealing and adjust the truck's tire pressure to get the best feel. Then you can adjust the rear shocks to get it better adjusted. Only do 1 change at a time.

David Hester

Established Member
I've been on track with Lightnings a couple of times. Some fun, you bet!:banana:
Do the Standard brake pads/ fluid checks (ducts would be a good idea whoaing down for Turn 1), I'd play with tire pressures before suspension changes, Slapper bars may be great for drag racing, but I'm not sure the extra stiffness all of a sudden would be ideal for road course...hit a curb going up the esses and it could get interesting when things go oversteer all at once....just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread