Questions about tint laws and testing (in VA)

5PNTSLW

Back on the Saddle
Established Member
Just have a few questions about the legality of an officer testing window tint on vehicles. I have been pulled in the past and have always complied with the officers request, but now that I am a little older I question sometimes if I am being too nice and should have a better understanding of things.

In VA the tint laws are currently 50% front windows, 35% rear windows including passenger rear(if sedan). If i am going down the road and both of my front windows are down all the way(not visible), but an officer sees my rear windows and suspects they are too dark, can he legally ask me to roll up my front window to test the % even though they where down when he had the suspicion?

Am I obligated to roll up the window if asked? If i had them down when he pulled me, what would they have to do with his suspicion if he based his finding on my rear windows and the law for the front and rear windows are different?

Last question, if you have received multiple tickets for window tint in a vehicle, is there something the officer/state can do to your vehicle if you don't comply and fix it? After how many times would this be?

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Just have a few questions about the legality of an officer testing window tint on vehicles. I have been pulled in the past and have always complied with the officers request, but now that I am a little older I question sometimes if I am being too nice and should have a better understanding of things.

In VA the tint laws are currently 50% front windows, 35% rear windows including passenger rear(if sedan). If i am going down the road and both of my front windows are down all the way(not visible), but an officer sees my rear windows and suspects they are too dark, can he legally ask me to roll up my front window to test the % even though they where down when he had the suspicion? Yes he can. Regardless of if the windows are up or down, the vehicle is still being operated with illegal tint.

Am I obligated to roll up the window if asked? Yes you are obligated. If i had them down when he pulled me, what would they have to do with his suspicion if he based his finding on my rear windows and the law for the front and rear windows are different? Not sure what you mean, but under VA law, any vehicle can be stopped and inspected at anytime on a public highway if the officer suspects a violation of law.

Last question, if you have received multiple tickets for window tint in a vehicle, is there something the officer/state can do to your vehicle if you don't comply and fix it? After how many times would this be?For a 2nd or subseqent tint violation, the officer CAN make the charge NOT preayable and ask that the make it a court order for you to remove the tint. If you fail to comply, then it becomes a criminal matter.

Hope the red highlighted answers help you out OP.

silver03svt

Established Member
No problem. One thing you didn't ask, but I will mention is that VA law gives you a 7% leeway on the measurements on the tint. Meaning a front window MUST register 42% or darker and rear windows must register 27% or darker in order to be summonsed for the offense. All other windows can be no darker than 20% without any leeway in that measurement.

5PNTSLW

Back on the Saddle
Established Member
Yea Ive always measured way below that lol, my cobra registered at 11%:rockon: but I did know of the 7% leeway.

How are they measuring the rear windows nowadays(rear windshields)? or do they not have a way

Do you know if they are changing the laws this year? When i got my tint done a few weeks ago on my GT the guy mentioned it was a possibility they where going to effect a change in June for 35% legal all the way around(prob just BS like always).

silver03svt

Established Member
Yea Ive always measured way below that lol, my cobra registered at 11%:rockon: but I did know of the 7% leeway.

How are they measuring the rear windows nowadays(rear windshields)? or do they not have a way

Do you know if they are changing the laws this year? When i got my tint done a few weeks ago on my GT the guy mentioned it was a possibility they where going to effect a change in June for 35% legal all the way around(prob just BS like always).

Some agencies have a 2 piece tint meter. That is really the only way you can measure glass that doesn't roll down. And the tint level has been before the General Assembly several times over the past few years, as has the front tag issue. I haven't heard any news on them changing it yet though.

Sprayed2v

Established Member
Awesome timing for these questions. I just got my third tint ticket from a dick head trooper that has a reputation for making personal vendettas against cars he's pulled over in the past. The last two times have been by the same trooper and he's made/making me appear in court. My next date is the 30th this month, but I'm confused about something. Why is it that the cop cars are allowed illegal tint on there vehicles? Some of them even have there front windshield tinted

silver03svt

Established Member
Awesome timing for these questions. I just got my third tint ticket from a dick head trooper that has a reputation for making personal vendettas against cars he's pulled over in the past. The last two times have been by the same trooper and he's made/making me appear in court. My next date is the 30th this month, but I'm confused about something. Why is it that the cop cars are allowed illegal tint on there vehicles? Some of them even have there front windshield tinted

The way that the VA General Assembly has written the statute (VA Code 46.2-1052) Law Enforcement Vehicles are exempt from the tint laws. This is for several reasons, the most obvious, and only one I will explain, is to keep K-9's cool on really hot days.

As far as the "dick head trooper" comment, I am one of those said dick heads. You should have had the tint removed or corrected AFTER the first ticket for it. Problem solved. If you want to continue driving around on tint that you know is illegal, then that is your choice. Don't bash the trooper because you make the decision to drive around with the tint still on. I personally would do the same that the other trooper has done to you. I can only make the assumption that since the trooper is a dick head for writing you on three different occasssions that you must be a royal dumbass for keeping the tint on.

Sprayed2v

Established Member
The way that the VA General Assembly has written the statute (VA Code 46.2-1052) Law Enforcement Vehicles are exempt from the tint laws. This is for several reasons, the most obvious, and only one I will explain, is to keep K-9's cool on really hot days.

As far as the "dick head trooper" comment, I am one of those said dick heads. You should have had the tint removed or corrected AFTER the first ticket for it. Problem solved. If you want to continue driving around on tint that you know is illegal, then that is your choice. Don't bash the trooper because you make the decision to drive around with the tint still on. I personally would do the same that the other trooper has done to you. I can only make the assumption that since the trooper is a dick head for writing you on three different occasssions that you must be a royal dumbass for keeping the tint on.

did i make that plural? I said "A" Dick head trooper. Not implying that all state cops are bad. Just that particular one , i could also name three more that are royal dicks. one of them just got his ass handed to him for writing bogus tickets as a matter of fact. U can't sit there and say all state troopers are good. I'm sure u know a few personally that take the power of the badge to there head. As far as my window tint, its on there for my 2 month old son for when me and the misses go out on rides through the mountains and stuff, sorry for being a caring parent and not wanting the sun to bake on his eyes. I'm sorry if I my sons well being isn't more important than the k-9 units in your eyes, but to me his comfort is my number one priority and as far as being a royal dumbass? What kinda talk is that coming from a leo talking to a civilian. No wonder va troopers have such a bad rep and incase u think I'm bashing LEOs i have the up most respect for them, specially county and city cops. I just stated a bad experience about one trooper that targets specific individuals and u attacked me. Awesome job

silver03svt

Established Member
did i make that plural? I said "A" Dick head trooper. Not implying that all state cops are bad. Just that particular one , i could also name three more that are royal dicks. one of them just got his ass handed to him for writing bogus tickets as a matter of fact. U can't sit there and say all state troopers are good. I'm sure u know a few personally that take the power of the badge to there head. As far as my window tint, its on there for my 2 month old son for when me and the misses go out on rides through the mountains and stuff, sorry for being a caring parent and not wanting the sun to bake on his eyes. I'm sorry if I my sons well being isn't more important than the k-9 units in your eyes, but to me his comfort is my number one priority and as far as being a royal dumbass? What kinda talk is that coming from a leo talking to a civilian. No wonder va troopers have such a bad rep and incase u think I'm bashing LEOs i have the up most respect for them, specially county and city cops. I just stated a bad experience about one trooper that targets specific individuals and u attacked me. Awesome job

First of all, reread my post. I never called you a royal dumbass. My statement was that I can ONLY ASSUME that you are becasue you haven't removed the tint and keep driving around on it. Babies 'R' Us sells specific sunscreens designed specifically for use on vehicle windows so you don't have to roll around and keep getting tickets. And I never made any mention of you calling all LEO's dick heads. I just made the comment that I would do the same as the trooper that has written you 3 tickets for the tint. If you lived in the area that I worked, and I wrote you the first, and continually saw you with the tint not removed/corrected, I would pull you and write you again. Based upon your story, that would make me a dick head too, right? And as far as bashing LEO's, that is exactly what you did in your first post. You bashed a trooper for doind his job by calling him a dick head. Please realize that your vehicle is in violation of VA law concerning your tint. Therefore, that trooper is only doing his job by stopping you and writing you every time he sees your car on the road operating with the illegal tint.
You are also correct in saying that not all troopers are good. I never said that they were. You are taking my post WAY out into left field sir. I simply addressed your issue with you car's tint, how it is being enforced by one trooper, and said that I would do the same thing. I am sorry that you got all bent out of shape and felt you had to go on the defensive.
I will stick to my original statement, I can only assume that you are a royal dumbass for continually operating a motor vehicle on the roadway knowing that your window tint is illegal. This assumption is furthered embedded into my being based on the fact that you bash what you call a "dick head trooper" for doing his job and thinking that he has some sort of personal vendetta against you. Want to get revenge on the trooper? Fix your tint, and stick your tongue out at him next time he passes by you. :beer:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator

Straight from here,
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/donut-shop-61/18880-donut-shop-posting-guidelines.html

"This is a forum for information regarding law enforcement, traffic laws, current events in law enforcement, and a place for the boys in blue to hang out. This is NOT the place to flame cops or complain about the ticket you got.:nono: If you have questions feel free to ask.:thumbsup: This forum is moderated by L.E.O.'s. (Law Enforcement Officers).

"Some jerk cop gave me a ticket for no reason" threads, "Cops are pricks because...." and the like are not welcome.

Flaming, Derogatory Comments and/or Flippant Remarks about L.E.O.s and/or L.E. is NOT permitted. If you can NOT post constructively then do NOT post at all!

If you have to add the comment "No Offense" or anything of a similar meaning, then you need to edit your post or not post at all!

Additionally, if a thread says "L.E.O.s" or anything to that effect, that means the author wants only Law Enforcement Officers to post responses in that thread. Please respect the author's request by not posting. If you have information that might be of use to the author simply send him/her a P.M.

NOTE: Please be aware that anyone stating they are a L.E.O. will receive a PM from one of the moderators asking them to verify their status as a F/T sworn L.E.O. This is done to maintain the accuracy of information that is put forth in this forum. If you are not willing to cooperate in the verification process please dont post that you are a L.E.O. Thank you for your consideration.

Thank you,

Hillie and FordSVTFan."

5PNTSLW

Back on the Saddle
Established Member
well this went in the wrong direction

Silver, can you be pulled at night? I know i keep saying last question but having a response from a trooper from the state I live in imo is awesome as most don't have the time while on duty to just chit chat.

silver03svt

Established Member
well this went in the wrong direction

Silver, can you be pulled at night? I know i keep saying last question but having a response from a trooper from the state I live in imo is awesome as most don't have the time while on duty to just chit chat.

No problem buddy. Ask all the questions you want to. :beer: Yes, you can be pulled at night. Tint, although more difficult to see, is still visible at night. Gauging it is tricky though, and most LEO's (myself included) will use your car's interior lights (dash, GPS, cell phone lights, etc...) to help assess the darkness of your tint. Also, surroundings can play a part too, such as street lights, other vehicles, etc.... An officer just being able to estimate the darkness of the tint is enough to stop and investigate further on it, i.e. use the tint meter.

BTW, I see you're in Richmond. We need to meet up and cruise sometime.

Last edited:

5PNTSLW

Back on the Saddle
Established Member
Thanks for the response

And as long as you promise not to write tickets.........:D i plan to get out to C&C sometime soon, not sure if you have ever got a chance to go out

silver03svt

Established Member
Thanks for the response

And as long as you promise not to write tickets.........:D i plan to get out to C&C sometime soon, not sure if you have ever got a chance to go out

Never been. That's out at Boychick's Deli, isn' it?

silver03svt

Established Member
yea every other Saturday around 8ish, this is the easiest place to see when the next one is:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/194801907239997/

Think I'm gonna skip this Saturday, I'm heading to the CPT meet in MD on Sunday and need to get a few things straightened out w the car before the trip.

Yeah, I've got the Central VA Mustang Club show at Weshchester Commons on Sat. It's right off Rt 288 at Rt 60. If your close, head down.

silver03svt

Established Member
I think it starts at 9? Maybe 8....lol, but it goes until 4.

Bad03gt

Do what!?
Established Member
Never really had any problems with tint on the cobra and my tint isn't legal. When I had my cobalt I got hit every time... I get messed with less in my cobra then I did in my cobalt? Don't get it sometimes

Users who are viewing this thread