Questions about wheel hop

cobraGABE

Will work for Mods
Established Member
I am no expert driver by any means, but seems like every time I try to take off in 1st I will get a little spin then hop hop hop. I am not mashing it in first either. I am running on stock F1's is this the problem or is it just driver error. I am not exactly sure what causes the wheel hop either, explanation :shrug: ? Would going to Nitto DR in the rear help? I probably will go with Nitto DR's anyway which size is the best, I have noticed 315's fit stock rims, but does any one run 295's. Thanks in advance for your responses.

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
here is something i posted in anouther tread about wheel hop:

"hey guys, where are you getting the wheel hop?
on burnouts or launching?
wheel hop comes from your tires "sort of" grabing. the best cure for wheel hop is dont give your tires a chance to grab (by doing burnouts at higher rpm's.) and if your getting your wheel hop on launches then you need to launch lighter.
I run drag radials and i have all the mods you guys are talking about and i can still get wheel hop if i burn out or launch wrong.
if i do burn outs over 4000 rpm im fine. any less and i get wheel hop still. But when i do my launches after a good burn out, i launch at 3500rpm with no wheel hop or wheel spin. "

but from what i hear about the 03's is the wheel hop is much better then the 99's and 01's.
the 03's have the better differential brace and better shocks.

as far as going with nittos, that may help your problem. because nittos when cold can spin pretty good and when warmed up grab like hell. but with a 9 inch wheel i would only go with a 295. if you want 315's u may want to go to a 10 or 10.5 wheel.
if you put of wide of a tire on narrow wheel, the tire kinda cups. meaning the middle tread has more contact than the outside tread. putting the right size tire on the right size wheel gives you the best contact to ground. and with the power of the 03's you are deffently gonna want the best contact patch you can get.

ive had lots of trouble whith wheel hop when i first got my car. now that i can really drive my car ive gotten away from the wheel hop. so i think it really has alot to do with the driver.
and if this is your first irs car it may even take a bit longer to get your launches down pat.

good luck
J

MotoXracer21

I Need Low 12s....
Established Member
Also some things that supposidly help with wheel hop:
H&R supersport (or race?) springs
Full-length subframe connectors
Polyurethane bushings

Add these to a set of DR's and you should be good to go...

Users who are viewing this thread