Questions on KB install

ChuckV

Established Member
I'm aiming for about 500whp in my '03, I'm thinking of just making it easy on myself and bolting on a KB+Suppoting mods along with some cooling mods. It looks like it wouldn't be that much more expensive than getting 500 wheel on the eaton. My question is, how easy is the KB to install? Is it something a person with a reasonable amount of mechanical skill could do, or is it a task best left to shops? If the later, what have some of you payed for the install? I don't want to spend more than 6 grand or so total, which is why I ask.

RUgoinup?

We will NEVER forget!
Established Member
I'd leave it to the Professionals since most say the KB is more difficult than the Whipple to install. Expect to pay $600 or more for the install.

Port the stock TB/Plenum/blower. It's much cheaper ($695), and you can do the install w/ a friend. You can buy used supporting mods in "The Market" section for 10-50% off new pricing. There's your 500 rwhp.

ChuckV

Established Member
The issue is when I decide I want more than 500WHP, hehe. I figured it might be a good idea to buy the KB up front, leave it near stock, then tack things on to keep the HP addiction in check for longer.

RUgoinup?

We will NEVER forget!
Established Member
"...buy the KB...keep the HP addiction in check..."

:lol:

You said you wanted "500 whp." :shrug:

If you want the KB, get it. I almost got one, but the cost for it + supporting mods + install + tune was too much all at once. I decided to port the blower, and buy some of the supporting mods that can be used with KB if and when I bought one. I can sell my Ported Eaton for $1k which can go towards the purchase whenever I'm ready.

Good luck with your decision. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread