Questions on short block replacement

MustangGuyo246

1997 pacific green Cobra
Established Member
I have a question pertaining to the costs of labor on swapping out a stock short block for an 07 GT for the purposes of adding a turbo in the future...

Also who could tell me (IF I DECIDED to put a turbo in) would it be safe to hold out on a build bottom end for a little bit ? If so how long, and what kind of psi/power would be safe.. i have read a few articles and they all say that its dangerous over 400rwhp, and that turbos are harder on your engines than superchargers cause they come on full boost..

Any questions and additional information anyone could supply would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Matt

silverpoison

MAD TORQUE Inc.
Established Member
give livernois a call, they have great set-ups, the price for a short block is around 4K and fro a Long block around 7K, labor is called by ford for 25 hours to pull and install a engine. Hope that helps.

A built engine should be able to handle 750 rwhp no problems.

hemislayer99

Here...Hemi...Hemi!!!
Established Member
The new April 08 issue of 5.0 Mustang has an article on pg.62 about Livernois new short blocks. They can put pistons for N/A, Superchargers, Turbos, etc. They have one that will handle up to 1000hp and one that will handle up to 1500hp. They should be able to take care of you.

Last edited:

Mike@Livernois

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Thanks for referencing the article hemislayer99. We wanted an editorial that better illustrated the differences in both parts quality and prep work that goes into one of our engines.

We have spent a considerable amount of time developing our own parts. During our own testing, we found that off the shelf parts worked okay in most cases but had a lot of drawbacks. Based on this we decided that the only way to really have a nice total package was to work with top notch compaines like Mahle, Manley, Kellogg, Clevite, etc. to design parts around the entire engine package. Each and every part was carefully evaluated and tested to make sure we had the optimum package. We spent over 6 months alone testing piston design changes. While the parts like the pistons and rods may resemble other standard looking parts, there are many small changes throughout that really make big differences.

As listed before, a properly built engine should easily handle the power that its rated too. The stock shortblock is a time bomb at HP levels higher than 450. The rod is pretty much guranteed to snap and in some cases this will take the block with it as well as possibly the head. If you are planning on adding a power adder its wise to upgrade first and will be cheaper in the long run.

The Video below will walk you through a modular engine build at Livernois Motorsports.

Livernois Motorsports Modular Engine build

Thank you

Regards,

Mike Schropp
Livernois Motorsports

hemislayer99

Here...Hemi...Hemi!!!
Established Member
No problem. I dont mind recomending someone that actually puts that much time into building a quality product. Now I only hope to be able to afford a built block one of these days!

Users who are viewing this thread