Questions on trading in car

POISNUS04

Established Member
Looking to trade in my wife's car towards a different vehicle. Her name on the title is from before we are married. Where do you sign when trading a vehicle in? Would she need to be present? I do have the lien release as the vehicle is paid for. Any insight on this process would be nice. This is a MN titled car.

Thanks

Mjavant1985

Figgy (Cam) Newton
Established Member
I would assume you would sign on the back of the title, just as if you were selling the car to the dealership (this I don't know for sure). She would have to be present as the title is in her name, and the vehicle lien release paper.

POISNUS04

Established Member
I don't believe there is a place to sign the lien release as it is more for notification. Does she have to be present? I have never traded in a car before. Thanks for some input.

xenodragon

Established Member
I don't believe there is a place to sign the lien release as it is more for notification. Does she have to be present? I have never traded in a car before. Thanks for some input.

I assume you do not have the title, since we live in Minnesota and we dont get hte title until its free and clear? Just ask the dealer when you bring the car in for appraisal. They would normally call the company that has the lien on it get the pay off amount, and pay it off. You would need to get the lien account information from your wife and give to the dealer.

Last edited:

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
Not sure about the laws in your state but here in California the person who is on the title/registration has to be present to sign the paperwork. There are several forms that need to be signed by the original owner besides the title.

POISNUS04

Established Member
Talked to the dealer. She has to sign her name hyphenated since she is now married. Only sign the front by the X for seller. I have multiple MN titles in hand that have lien or had lien. Ussually bank just requires that there name gets on it and then they send you a copy. Dealer said she does not have to be present I just need to bring it in signed. Thanks for replies.

Users who are viewing this thread