Quick/easy way to drain gas tank?

Teal Terminator

Established Member
Well like a true dumbass, I mostly filled up my tank today with 87 octane instead of 93!!!! :bash: The 93 pump handle was in the middle as opposed to 87/89/93 like it is at most gas stations. Either way... my fault. :(

Anyway, I am looking for an easy way to drain most of the tank at this point. I tried to syphon it out but I can't seem to get the hose I am using to ever reach fuel. Is there a filter down at the base of the filler kneck inside or something? I guess I could undo the line at the fuel filter but I'm not sure how much fuel I'll actually be able to get out that way and I would really like to be able to syphon the fuel into a gas can to use on my lawn mower etc.

Right now I am probably running around on a 1/3 mixture of 93 to 2/3 of 87 giving me roughly an average of 89 for the whole tank. I switched my chip down to my 91 octane tune but to be on the safe side I would really just like to drain it all or most of it. Or I guess I will just have to drive very lightly for about 300 miles! :fm:

Thanks for any info, Ryan

TriPodRacing

U MAD?
Established Member
The easiest way is to punch a hole in the bottom of the tank! :D

I would just take it easy for a bit and then fill her up when you are on E.

FordFanStan

Established Member
You can unscrew your fuel pressure schrader valve on the passenger side fuel rail, then attch a hose to it, then jump your pump relay and let the pumps do all the work while your pumping the fuel into containers... Stan

I'D WIN

Established Member
I got a better way for ya...

Instead of driving around town for a week, you can drain your entire tank for just a couple bucks worth of fuel line and a jumper wire. I do it every time I go to the track. I pump out all the 93 and add a half tank of C16. Then after I'm through racing I pump the C16 out and pour the 93 back in so I'm not burning $8 a gallon race fuel on the drive home. Here are some easy instructions.

First get a 6 to 8 foot piece of rubber fuel line. (Easily obtainable from an AutoZone, Advance etc.)

25409-200-17713.jpg

A home made jumper wire.

25409-200-17714.jpg

and a shrader valve tool.

25409-200-17707.jpg

To start, loosen your gas cap to relieve any pressure in the tank. Then go to your fuse box (under the hood) and pull this relay.

25409-200-17709.jpg

Then plug jumper here.

25409-200-17710.jpg

Find the shrader valve on the passenger side fuel rail and remove cap. Remove valve using schrader valve tool. (A little fuel will come out so you might want to put a towel under the rail.) I never do because the small amount that comes out usually evaporates before I'm done anyway.

25409-200-17711.jpg

Push one end of the fuel line onto the shrader valve. It goes on pretty tight. (You can use a hose clamp to be safe, although I've never had a problem with it blowing off.)

25409-200-17712.jpg

Place the other end of the fuel line into a gas jug.

Now turn the ignition on without starting the engine and your fuel pumps will pump the fuel out. To stop the pumps just turn the key back off. ***Important*** Try not to starve the pumps as you can damage them. It's always best to have someone present that can work the key for you. If the fuel starts foaming or you hear air turn the ignition off. The tank will then be drained. Add race fuel and have fun. When you get finished racing just repeat and add your 93 back to the tank. Just thought this might helps a few guys save some money on race fuel.

Teal Terminator

Established Member
Wow! This is why I love this website, lots of great info in a short amount of time.

I'd Win, great little write up and thanks for posting it here b/c that definately seems like the easiest way to do it.

Thanks again guys,
Ryan

I'D WIN

Established Member
Its a great way to get something done fast...maybe LL can post it up in the How-to...

I had been doing it that way since I bought the truck back in '02. Fortunately for all of us, another L brethren took the time to document the how-to last year if I recall correctly. I can't take all of the credit....

Teal Terminator

Established Member
Well either way thanks a lot. I'm already back inside from emptying about half a tank! Unfortunately my wife's car only needed about 7 gallons worth of gas and I only have one 5 gal gas tank empty around here but that still got a good portion of my tank empty. Now I will just fill up with some 93 tomorrow on my way home from work and that should easily give me an average octane rating for this tank of above 91. So I will just run my 91 oct tune for the remainder of this tank to be on the safe side and then I should be good to go.

Thanks again,
Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread