Quick OPG question

tennis_pr0

Established Member
Does the gt500 have the same oil pump gears as the coyote? From what I have read, they are either the same or made out of the same material. Just curious as I am still in the air about if I'm gonna upgrade mine or not and am interested to know what the gt500 comes with. Thanks.

hirting

Established Member
Found this on the forums for you.... Sounds like the OPG's are the same cast ones found on all the other cars. I just finished installing OPG's on my 13 Coyote for peace of mind. It was time consuming. Below is the related quote with links from the post I found.....

why is everyone talking about just the billet gears. The 2013 GT500 has a billet oil pump back plate to prevent deformation under heavy oil pressure and loading, cast gears are retained.

M5lp 1203 19 2013 Ford Shelby GT500 Trinity 5 8 V8 Photo 20

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec.../photo_18.html

is there no back plate on a coyote oil pump and if so, do we need?

tennis_pr0

Established Member
Found this on the forums for you.... Sounds like the OPG's are the same cast ones found on all the other cars. I just finished installing OPG's on my 13 Coyote for peace of mind. It was time consuming. Below is the related quote with links from the post I found.....

why is everyone talking about just the billet gears. The 2013 GT500 has a billet oil pump back plate to prevent deformation under heavy oil pressure and loading, cast gears are retained.

M5lp 1203 19 2013 Ford Shelby GT500 Trinity 5 8 V8 Photo 20

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec.../photo_18.html

is there no back plate on a coyote oil pump and if so, do we need?

So if the 13-14 gt500's come with the same gears basically and that engine is making 600 whp from factory, then I'm not gonna worry about my coyote making the same amount of power. People commonly mod the gt500's into the 700 whp range and I haven't heard about their gears failing. I think the gears are more internet hype and when they do break it's people pushing a lot of power and banging off the rev limiter at 8 grand. So my consensus on this is I'm not gonna do them. Thanks for the reply.

WIST2013GT

Established Member
I'm interested in this too. Seems that there is a lot of hype around the OPG failures. I just want to know that actual number of failures that didn't involve 2 steps or banging the rev limiter.

jn2

Established Member
Everything I have read it appears shock kills OPGs, not a certain horsepower level or RPM. So 2 steps, WOT boxes, bouncing off your rev limiter, dropping a gear too hard, pretty much anything that cause shock that OPG can cause a failure.

burke985

Established Member
Just do them and don't guess... i waited long enough and played around with the idea if i needed them or not just did them and no worries now.

Users who are viewing this thread