Quick plug/wire ?

66GT350

Established Member
Going for a baseline Dyno next week and thought it's time to change plugs and wires (since she still has the original 1997 stamped wires and 80=K on the clock). I'm thinking Autolite 764's gapped out of the box, that ok for my N/A motor? I was also just going to go with FRPP direct replacement wires (probably go red instead of blue), any advantage to going non-Ford here? BTW, I HATE making up plug wire sets, are the FRPPs properly sized for our motors?

Rev Happy

Established Member
Gap the 764s at .054... The stock wires are actually pretty good but the only place I could find them at was the dealer and they wanted like $200 for them... The FMS 9MM wires are just as good and you can find them for around $100 but they will not fit in the stock looms...as they are too thick... I run these wires though and like them a lot... I just got bigger looms from FMS and made them all nice and neat...

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
i run the autolite 764's gapped at .054"...work great...
can't help you on the wires issue though...i wouldn't know....:shrug:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I have a set of stock wires and coils with 30K on them that I am selling for $125.00 Shipped. They are perfect, I just wanted red wires, and a hotter coil pack. I will even clean them up like new for you.

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
I think AutoZone sells the MSD superconductor wires, or you can get them from Summit for pretty cheap:

MSD wires

As far as plugs.....a lot of Cobra owners recommend the Ford plugs over on Corral.net. Do a search for spark plugs in the SVT forums.

Good luck, let us know how you do.
:beer:

freakshow12

Established Member
I am running NGK tr6's they work good but I am also blown so I would stick with stock plugs as they also seemed to work best when I was N/A

66GT350

Established Member
OK, fella's, 764's it is. BTW, one last question, my gapping tool goes from .045 to .050 to .060 (pretty standard I think). How are you guys gapping to .054, using a feeler gauge instead?

Dino S.

Established Member
Stay away from MSD Wires! I replaced mine w/ MSD and got an awful misfire. I've read multiple other cases where this happened as well. I bought the direct replacement wires off ebay (70 bucks new) and they're great. Misfire gone.

Dino

BTW: Hissman: How does your car run with the new hotter coils?

blk96SVT

Established Member
Originally posted by tang350
OK, fella's, 764's it is. BTW, one last question, my gapping tool goes from .045 to .050 to .060 (pretty standard I think). How are you guys gapping to .054, using a feeler gauge instead?

You should probably go and get a gapping tool with more measurements on it. The one I use has all sorts of numbers on it including .054.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by blk96SVT
You should probably go and get a gapping tool with more measurements on it. The one I use has all sorts of numbers on it including .054.

i have wire feeler set that goes ever .005" from .030" up to .075"

standard feeler gauges would also be extremely accurate....

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
i run tr6's at stock 35 gap. It runs just the same as with OEM heat/gap plug and doesn't blow out under nitrous.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Originally posted by Dino S.

BTW: Hissman: How does your car run with the new hotter coils?

I picked up a few horses up top, and it made my tq and hp curve a lot broader, and that is a good thing.

66GT350

Established Member
Thanks, guys, picked up the 764's and a new gap gauge that has incremental measurements, so I'm good to go!

I have a set of stock wires and coils with 30K on them that I am selling for $125.00 Shipped. They are perfect, I just wanted red wires, and a hotter coil pack. I will even clean them up like new for you.

Thanks anyway, Hissman, I picked a new OEM set of eBay for $80.00 and didn't need the coils.

Users who are viewing this thread