Quick Predator help please!

87FOXGT

Established Member
OK guys, i currently have the mods listed below, with a custom tune from rick at amazon in the car. Now i just got another custom tune i have to upload to see if the car runs better with it. my question is do i just upload it, or do i have to go back and upload the factory original tune first and then upload my new custom tune??? I dont wanna screw this up so please help me out here. Thanks.

predator

Established Member
If you have the book that came with the predator..... take a look. I don't know if it is different for the Cobra, but for my truck the manual says that you do not have to upload the factory tune before switching to another tune. :thumbsup:

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
I have done a couple of custom tunes in my 03 from rwtd. If You have modified your custom tune.. First set your custom tune back to default settings via your predator. Reflash the defaults back in the car. Then go upload the new custom tune it will ask if you want to overwrite the temp tune already in it, yes you do, then the new tune will upload and be the new custom tune. It worked fine for me. If you have not modfied your custom tune you don't need to do anything just go upload the new tune and overwrite the old custom tune. Then reflash your eec with the predator, I checked it all out via my Lm1 o2 wb and the traction control settings, all was good.

Last edited:

Z-COBRA

Bling & Zing
Established Member
What 69 gt said,you MUST restore the original factory tune back first,then load your custom tune.

87FOXGT

Established Member
thats what i thought. thanks guys. ill go ahead and reflash it with the original, then upload my new tune into the predator, then flash the car with the new tune. thanks again.

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
87foxgt pm me if you need more info, I did not nor is it needed to restore orginal factory tune but that will work too. What I am saying if you changed anything from the supplied custom tune via modify tune you do have to restore the default custom tune back in. ie rpm limiter, traction control, spark advance etc. Maybe james does it different, I had changed traction control cause it was still on. Later he corrected this with a new tune and a tweak on a/f at 6.5k my a/f is now 11.8, 11.9 across the board. Buy your predator from someone that does this tuning and is good. Factory pulley tune on mine a/f looked like a rollercoaster even with tweaking.

87FOXGT

Established Member
yeah i got the tune itself from rick at amazon so i definately am not gonna be modifying it at all.

ive got one more question though guys, when i upload my new tune into my predator, will it just overwrite my old custom tune that i had? or will it store the new custom tune along with the old custom tune and the original???

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
It will ask you if you want to overwrite temp tune already installed. (that evidently is the custom tune) if you say no it doesn't upload the new tune, if yes it does upload. I have got both tunes on the computer so far there can be no more than one custom tune at a time in the predator.

87FOXGT

Established Member
yeah just did that, thanks, i guess that theres only room for the original and one custom tune at a time. now if it would just stop raining so i can upload this stuff to the car and take it for a ride :mad:

lethal

Established Member
I believe the issue here is, that you have a flashed tune on the car. Well, I hope it is a flashed tune and not a tune on a chip. If there is a chip, take it out. If you have a flashed tune in there, you can try to get the Predator to rip that tune and save it as the "stock" tune in the PROM. You must remember that it is actually not your stock tune, but the Amazon tune.

I believe it would be safer to go back to the base tune of the car, and then use the Predator as described. But, as it was said before, it is not necessary to go back to that tune. It will probably just help keep you sane.

John

87FOXGT

Established Member
lethal,

there was never any chip. i bought a 2.8 pulley and predator with a custom tune in it done by rick at amazon.

i installed the pulley and flashed teh computer with the new amazon tune. i had some bad dyno numbers and am going to upload a new tune. i am using the predator to do all of this. so i will take it back to the stock tune, then upload my new tune. hopefully all will be well this time around. thanks for the reply.

87FOXGT

Established Member
ok just got an email from amazon, and just FYI guys, i dont have to reload the stock tune, i can just upload the new one.

FLBuckeye

Established Member
'87...hope all went well...
I'm curious what H.P. numbers you've gotten ??
(with the 2 "custom" tunes )
Hopefully, I'll be able to afford all that (Predator/Pulley) in 6 months.

Users who are viewing this thread