Quick Pull: 04 Cobra vs Evo IX

SBVERT03

Established Member
https://vimeo.com/101975826

I made a couple quick pulls against an EVO IX this weekend coming home from SCT. This is a video of one of them. This was just from ~50-55 to ~130. My car has a 2.3 TVS and supporting mods, made 626 rwhp. I don't know a whole lot about the EVO, just that it was running over 30 pounds of boost and E-85. I had a 230 pound passenger, and he was by himself.

I started the race in 3rd, I'm guessing I would have done better in 2nd at that mph? This was my first time messing around on the street from a higher roll in this car.

Just thought I'd share since I never usually do this kind of stuff. Lol.

Last edited:

SBVERT03

Established Member
^ thanks man. Yeah my passenger said I was about 2 cars ahead when I shut it down due to traffic.

04owmach

Established Member
Man i cannot believe i decided not to go. Stupid weather kept talking about horrendous storms coming and i didn't want to drive 2 1/2 hours round trip for nothing. looks like it was a lot of fun though. Hope they do it again next year in indy.

SBVERT03

Established Member
Man i cannot believe i decided not to go. Stupid weather kept talking about horrendous storms coming and i didn't want to drive 2 1/2 hours round trip for nothing. looks like it was a lot of fun though. Hope they do it again next year in indy.

I almost didn't make the trip either. I had to work Friday so I couldn't make the dyno day, but I went up for the show/meet on Saturday even though I knew it was going to storm (it was only about an hr and 15 min drive for me.) I ended up rolling out of Anderson about 5 because of the storms coming through and headed back south to Indy. I was dumb and went home because I thought it was going to rain all night, but it sounds like it was a good time after the rain stopped!

I'm glad I at least made it to the meet though, and I too really hope they come back next year!

Blk03CobraVenom

Love me some Boost
Established Member
Cool win! In second you may have had traction issues with that blower/power level. Trust me I have the same setup as you hehe! By the way how many psi you pushing? Is your power level made on 93 only or with an additive ie. Torco, E85, Race fuel etc?

SBVERT03

Established Member
Cool win! In second you may have had traction issues with that blower/power level. Trust me I have the same setup as you hehe! By the way how many psi you pushing? Is your power level made on 93 only or with an additive ie. Torco, E85, Race fuel etc?

Thanks man! Haha yeah traction is the reason I decided to run from 3rd, but I would like to try a similar roll from 2nd next time and see how it compares.

My car is running on 93 on about 18 psi. It's a 2.3 TVS with a 2.8 pulley. Car also mac longtubes, off-road x-pipe, magnaflow catback, JLT rai, lethal budget return fuel system, etc.

I've been debating going to an E-85 setup, but I'm pretty happy with how it runs right now. I think my next step will be a clutch, and addressing the slow rear diff. leak I just developed. =[ lol

xsellr8

BANNED
Established Member
Great kill man! I can't even think about how you'd murder him on e85.. Terminators have some of the best potential out there. :coolman:

SBVERT03

Established Member
A couple people I have shown the video to have asked me about the bit of smoke that came out of my exhaust. I have noticed it before, and thought it was just due to not having cats. Does this seem normal?

mr-proper

Established Member
your car sounds mean:rockon:

i wouldn't worry about the smoke, as long as it runs hard and doesn't burn much oil, no need to worry. mine does the same even with high flow cats. ;-)

SBVERT03

Established Member
your car sounds mean:rockon:

i wouldn't worry about the smoke, as long as it runs hard and doesn't burn much oil, no need to worry. mine does the same even with high flow cats. ;-)

Thanks man!!!

Blk03CobraVenom

Love me some Boost
Established Member
Thanks man! Haha yeah traction is the reason I decided to run from 3rd, but I would like to try a similar roll from 2nd next time and see how it compares.

My car is running on 93 on about 18 psi. It's a 2.3 TVS with a 2.8 pulley. Car also mac longtubes, off-road x-pipe, magnaflow catback, JLT rai, lethal budget return fuel system, etc.

I've been debating going to an E-85 setup, but I'm pretty happy with how it runs right now. I think my next step will be a clutch, and addressing the slow rear diff. leak I just developed. =[ lol

Nice numbers with that setup! I am pushing about 18.5, but am making around 580 pump. Could be Dyno related. Cause I made around 620 on a different one (not my tuner's). I have the 3.0 pulley up top and stock lower. I also have the stock headers though so that explains boost on yours. I have a magnaflow catted x and catback. JLT hi-boost CAI, BAP, ID1000s (improved driveability/idle), and Lethal rails and hat. I upgraded my clutch right before the TVS went on. I chose the Mcleod RXT. Really nice pedal feel and engagement.

Funny you mentioned the real leak. I developed one myself even with the Ford Racing cover. Had the rear redone (new bearings, gears, etc) and resealed. Just started leaking again, but at a different spot. Very odd. I don't have wheel hop either since I have the full FTBR kit installed.

Last edited:

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member

There will be an Indy event again next year, it was very successful! Also adding a Las Vegas event.

intermatic

Established Member
Awesome kill. Looks like you took that one pretty handily.
I hate that awkward speed range where you're kind of low in 3rd, but would be really high in 2nd. I always opt for the higher gear and hope it doesn't come back to bite me!
I'm around the same power level as you and I can't even imagine trying to start in 2nd at 50-55 and catching any traction whatsoever. Might just be because I've only had Nittos and currently R888s. R888s are good, but not 2nd gear at 50 good lol.
Good kill!

SBVERT03

Established Member
Awesome kill. Looks like you took that one pretty handily.
I hate that awkward speed range where you're kind of low in 3rd, but would be really high in 2nd. I always opt for the higher gear and hope it doesn't come back to bite me!
I'm around the same power level as you and I can't even imagine trying to start in 2nd at 50-55 and catching any traction whatsoever. Might just be because I've only had Nittos and currently R888s. R888s are good, but not 2nd gear at 50 good lol.
Good kill!

Thanks man. I have R888's in the back too. Sounds like its a good thing I started in 3rd! Haha

Users who are viewing this thread