Quick Question about fluids

oneSICsvt

Established Member
Ok so I will be changing my clutch soon and will be changing the tranny fluid along with that what do you guys recommend. I have heard GM synchromesh was used a lot, I work at a GM dealership as like a porter moving cars so that would be convenient.

Also I will be changing my differential fluid at the same time. Dont know anything about diff fluids so what are you guys running, what should I use in my differential. I am going to be putting a 2.76 pulley and tune soon if that makes a difference.

Thank you in advance, sorry if its a noob question

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
There are a good number of threads on transmission fluid choices, but none are extremely conclusive. If you know this is the first time you've changed the transmission fluid, and you have no problems with shifting, stick with Dexron III/Mercon ATF, which is the stock fluid. Other good options are GM Synchromesh and Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF.

Here are a couple good threads...specifically Post #21 and Post #62.

Last edited:

SoCalHarley

SC32VGT
Established Member
Pennzoil Syncromesh is available at many autoparts stores and is the same product as the GM Syncromesh. NAPA has it for 7.50 qt. I have used this and it works well. I believe the GM Syncromesh is twice the price.

Last edited:

oneSICsvt

Established Member
I will most likely be getting the synchromesh, I heard that the royal purple 75w90 diff fluid doesn't need the ford friction modifier because it has a friction modifier in it is that true?

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
I will most likely be getting the synchromesh, I heard that the royal purple 75w90 diff fluid doesn't need the ford friction modifier because it has a friction modifier in it is that true?

Correct. RP fluid does NOT require frictin modifier, 75W140 though.

Users who are viewing this thread