Quick question on a LT install.

Teethy

0S0SL0
Established Member
Installing BBK LT's onto 03 Cobra.

BBK advised the steering rag joint to be disconnected and slid to the drivers side engine compartment. I did this and after installing both headers realized that this shaft won't slide back by the header. Any quick tips on getting the shaft around the header? You all know what a biotch it is to take a header off...

I tried manipulating the angles and steering on the joint.
I tried jacking the engine with the motor mounts off.

Any help appreciated.

Mike

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
subscribing... Also just purchased some BBK LT and H pipe for my Bassani Exhaust... I really would also like to see some pics on ground clearance, engine bay, loss of BOOST in low end, feel and pull HI end and sound vid clips from this install... GOOD LUCK first off... and Thanks!

Last edited:

Teethy

0S0SL0
Established Member
I'll try and get some pics when I'm done. Everyone told me installing LT's was a major pain in the ass (which it is) but it CAN be done by anybody. I have a general understanding of mechanics but never worked on a car until I bought the Cobra last year. I'm at like 8 hours of work into it but I should be done within two more. Lowest price quoted to me was 300$. I don't make 30$ an hour so I figure what the hell.

Ground clearance is not bad on the header, but the bassani exhaust is going to be pretty low. My car is lowered 2" and will drag a dixie cup down the road with bassani SS catback with 4" tips.

If you need help on the install I can offer some advice. Go ahead and get 18" o2 sensor extenders if you haven't already. You'll need them for LT's.

Still need help on rag joint!!!

Thanks
Mike

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
sounds good man! Can't wait to see and hear it all done! I am actually somewhat (sponsored) buy a local shop here in the Bay area... So, they will install mine for next to nothing! I just want to see and hear the rest... My drop in from H&R sports and I do have BASSANI SS X and full exhaust, but of course the X being replaced with the BBK H kit... from what I hear, (headers) make the Cobras sound like sinisterly mean! Keep me posted!

03slobra2

POSI "race"port FTW
Established Member
This was a common problem early on when I got my headers back in 03... A lot of people either pounded a dent in the 3rd primary on the drivers side, or you can buy a flaming river shaft. The other thing that helped me is when I put on the QA1 K-member its cleared a whole lot better...

03slobra2

POSI "race"port FTW
Established Member
Oh and I have seen people go as far as to shim up the stock K member to clear as well... I had hard mounts so I don't know if motor flex would bind up of the shaft under load. Those are the things I have heard of though

03slobra2

POSI "race"port FTW
Established Member
What gasket are you running? Don't use the ones that come it he headers... go get factory replacement ones!!! lord knows you don't wanna undo them 3 times

Teethy

0S0SL0
Established Member
Damn wish I didn't hear that.

Not thrilled with banging a dent into my header and also not thrilled knowing I have BBK reinforced gaskets already on the car. At this point the car is back together so no point taking them off unless they leak....

Why do these people supply gaskets when none of them work like Ford's?

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
That has never made sense to me either when u purchase these products that are suppose to be HI-PERFORMANCE products and made to stand performing punishment but sold with cheap or weak links as hardware...

Last edited:

03slobra2

POSI "race"port FTW
Established Member
I have no idea on the gaskets deal... I bought my Kooks and the gasket went out same day... then bought another set (fel-pro) always treated me well on past cars... lasted about a month... replaced with factory and been good for 5 years...

The easiest way to make headers work better is the K member opens up a ton of room under there, also going with the flaming river shaft makes life easy as well. Just plan on doing the shaft at the same time!!!

Teethy

0S0SL0
Established Member
OK I figured this one out. There is an intermediate joint underneath the dash. By loosening that joint, you can slide the shaft further into the cabin of the car, allowing clearance of the header WITHOUT putting a dent in the header. Hope this helps somebody else. Exhaust soundclip on the way... BBK LT's BBK O/R X and Stock Catback for a week or two...

99cobra09

"Stock Car"
Established Member
subscribing... Also just purchased some BBK LT and H pipe for my Bassani Exhaust... I really would also like to see some pics on ground clearance, engine bay, loss of BOOST in low end, feel and pull HI end and sound vid clips from this install... GOOD LUCK first off... and Thanks!

I would like to hear your Exhaust Set up, im going to go with the same set up, never heard bassani's with an O/R H-pipe.

Teethy

0S0SL0
Established Member
The catback not going on for a week or two. Just got offered some new stingers for 250$ so I might have to go Borla.... I think there is a Bassani catback with O/R X on the exhaust soundboard. If not friend has BBK LT Bassani O/R X and Bassani Catback. It sounds damn good.... especially without the baffles :)

Corona-Extra

Miles Away From Ordinary
Established Member
keep in mind, im on H&R Race springs..
img183.gif

img180.gif

img184-1.gif

Ls1z28-00

Established Member
man that clearance sucks, my car is lowered and i drag my x pipe everywhere i go, do the headers go down lower than the x pipe? im thinking of adding LTs as well

Users who are viewing this thread