Quick Question: What if...

GeigerZ

Established Member
(this is in Texas but not sure if state matters)... I took my GT500 for a quick test drive (brake pad R&R), but forgot my wallet/license, but do have a state issued ID in the car and there was a random inspection/DWI checkpoint down the road and around the curve. Asked to see my license and cannot due to not having it on me. However, I know my license number (along with all my CC #'s, checking account and routing numbers, my family member SSN's... and much more) by heart.

Would it matter at this point since I don't have the actual license? I do have identification and all details (issued date/expires date) regarding my license. Just curious what would happen (probable scenarios).

Due process (ticket/tow) for being a bone-head and forgetting it?

The above is just a scenario.

Thank you!

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
I can only answer for Virginia. We do have a law that says your driver's license must be with be with you whenever you operate a vehicle on a public road. Same with your vehicle registration, as it must be in the vehicle whenever it is operated on a public road.

Typically, if your license status can be verified as valid, you just get a summons for not having your o/l with you. No tow involved.

Woody6799

Established Member
I can only answer for Virginia. We do have a law that says your driver's license must be with be with you whenever you operate a vehicle on a public road. Same with your vehicle registration, as it must be in the vehicle whenever it is operated on a public road.

Typically, if your license status can be verified as valid, you just get a summons for not having your o/l with you. No tow involved.

This in NJ as well

GeigerZ

Established Member
Thanks all! If this does ever happen, I will take my lumps and stack it in the lessons learned column.

/cheers

BigFatMatt

Ain't never gonna change
Established Member
Thanks all! If this does ever happen, I will take my lumps and stack it in the lessons learned column.

/cheers

I've been in this situation a couple of times, it wasn't a checkpoint, but I've been pulled over twice in NC without my license.

I apologized to the cop and gave him my name, address, and license number. Also showed him my registration and insurance (kept in my glove box). Maybe both times the cops were cool and let me slide, but I didn't get a ticket either time.

slowww6

Established Member
As long as the person was respectful and I could verify that they do have a valid dl, I most likely wouldn't issue a summons. Now if they were giving me a hard time or looked like a shit head, I could write them for unlicensed operation 509.

Users who are viewing this thread