Quick question...what would YOU do?

mangemd

Established Member
I have a 1999 Cobra with 31k miles that I just bought, but it was driven hard and put up wet so to speak. #4 piston/rings are fried and it only has 90# compression.
Would you:

A. Rebuild the motor/heads
B. Drop a new/remanufactured '99 long block in (I don't care about #'s matching)
C. Drop a new/remanufactured '01 long block in

I need to make a decision pretty soon. Thanks in advance.

Gary

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
Depends what you will eventually want from the car. If you are gonna add FI later, do a forged rebuild now.

If you just want an NA car with some pep, and are almost certain you don't want boost/spray, Id do the following:

Find used 5 speed Mach 1 motor with low miles in good shape.

Insert into engine bay.

Sell old motor to guy wanting to do forged internals.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
build it bigger and better man.

But it depends on your budget and what you want to do with the car?

mangemd

Established Member
This is pretty much just a driver for me. It has long tube ceramic headers, and I'd probably put cold-air induction on it at the most. Doubt it will ever see boost.

cobraracer46

Banned
If the engine ever lets go in my cobra, I would rebuild it my self instead of getting a new long block, that way, I can put in some nice parts and save some money as well.
Yes, building a Modular motor involves more steps than something like an old 5.0 pushrod motor, but as long as you have access to a good machine shop, along with all the special tools to set up the cams, plus the factory shop manual and a source for technical service bulletins to get all the info you need so you dont do foolish things like use metal scrapers, razor blades or sand paper to clean gasket surfaces on your aluminum cobra motor as an example, then I feel that rebuilding what you have would be the best option if you are a competent technician.

mangemd

Established Member
I, however, am not a competent technician (unless you're talking about the human body). My mechanical skills stop at basic routine maintenance (plugs/filters/oil etc).

Would anyone recommend rebuilding the motor bored .020 over or is that bad (I think the service limit it .030).

mangemd

Established Member
Same wiring harness and everything? What advantages does the Mach 1 bring to the table?

mangemd

Established Member
Will it use the same headers/stock intake as the Cobra? (sorry for all the newbie questions)

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Go with a Mach, Aviator or Marauder motor but put intake 96-98 cams in it.

You could also look for a forged shortblock in the market.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
na svt said:
Go with a Mach, Aviator or Marauder motor but put intake 96-98 cams in it.

You could also look for a forged shortblock in the market.

No hint with a link to your thread???

ahahahahaha

Users who are viewing this thread