quick question: when your car was stock...

lifter213

Established Member
In first gear when your at about 2500-3000 rpms and you floor it what happend?

My car is bone stock had it a week now and it has 415 miles on it. And i'm thinking it has the "bad cats". I already suspected it should have more power than what it does so tonight when i was driving around I took off from a roll in first and at about 2500 rpms or so i floor it and the tires break loose barely. I'm shifting into second at around 5k. I'm expecting it to be "Ohhhhhh sh*t hold on for your life!" and the car to get sideways or do something. The cats do look really hot and discolored and i do smell that skunk smell sometimes. That has to be the problem (I hope) just wanted to verify with everyone if i'm imagining things or thinking this car should be more powerful. Thanks for the help guys!

p.s. traction control is off.

Last edited:

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Same here. After in 1st gear on dry roads if I punch it I don't get any tire spin and a chirp at most. Power shifting 2nd also only produces a chirp. I dyno'd at Steeda and pulled 371 so I am making power it just doesn't seem like it. I had a 95 Cobra and the torque curve is definitely more tame in the 03 I am hoping a new exhaust my fix it.

f4sfed

Established Member
That's pretty much what my car would do when it was stock. It would barely break loose the tires from a roll in 1st.

Now is a different story. ;-) :rolling:

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
The best the car has ever done was when it was stone stock...I'm still trying to figure it out. I was at a 10 mph roll, still moving, coming up to a stoplight wondering if it would change (late for work). It does, and I floor it. The tires begin alternating the traction-loss-chirp all the way through first.

What most of us would like (I would think), is if we get stupid and floor it in first the rear end of the car would go sideways. It would be better for an experienced driver, as we would then have enough power to modulate the throttle. :burnout: :rolling:

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Instead of trying to compare the Cobra to your GT, you should take it to a track or a dyno. The power comes on smoothly with our cars - deceptively smooth, starting at 2k RPM - unlike the powerband on our GTs which is weak under 4k RPM, then pull quickly through 5500 RPMs. Also, don't feel bad because you can't break the tires loose - rejoice! They redesigned the IRS just for this, past Cobra owners would give there left nut for the added traction under hard acceleration. The Cobra and the GT are two totally different cars - hence the additional price. Compare a dyno on your GT, then go to Dallas Mustang Oct 19 for Dyno Day and get three pulls on your Cobra - compare the two graphs - Dyno's don't lie.

You only have a few hundred miles on the car - power will build and max out around 2k miles i believe. Also - we have a tendency while waiting for our cars to be built to imagine what tremendous power it will have - likened to the thrust of the space shuttle at launch. And the first time we punch it and discover we didn't end up in the trunk from the torque, we feel kinda let down. I admit, I had these unrealistic aspirations as well. But as I discover how to drive my Cobra (and it is a learning experience), and as I meet, and leave behind, those pesky LS1's on the street, I have much more appreciation for this car.

Cobra03

Fordrarri
Established Member
Same here. Was hoping to go sideways everytime I got on the throttle, but I have to jump on it and drop the clutch to spin the tires. Oh well. It is fast. Maybe with the new pulley and exhaust! I feel better knowing you are all having the same experience.

robert patrick

Established Member
tire spin

I drove my brother in laws new cobra(I also have one) this past weekend. I rolled at 20 mph,floored it, and it SMOKED the tires. It also did more than chirp in 2nd. He has a pulley and chip from Amazon Racing and I am installing the same on mine this weekend. There is a huge difference in stock and this set up. We also have Magnaflow X an cats, and they sound awesome. Other mods are...C&L Mass Air and AFE filter and Pro 50 shifter. I traded a Bullit in for the Cobra(no comparison).

dmreitz

Established Member
Lansing, IL (Chi. Suburb on Indiana border)
This is interesting... when I'm rolling between 20 and 30 mph in 1st gear, and I floor it, I will spin the tires until I shift out of first gear, or let off the gas... I did it yesterday on dry (but slightly warm asphalt) and squealed the hell out of them - back end fishtailed a bit...

I'm completely stock, except for a K&N drop in and no silencer. Haven't had it dynod yet, but it sure seems like I'm making decent power... I can also lay a nice patch down when powershifting 1-2, and can chirp them powershifting 2-3.

robert patrick

Established Member
tire spin

I just dropped my car off at the dealership for mods, and rolling my car at 20,25 or 30 and and flooring it produces no tire spin at all. That is of course with the traction control turned off.

Elapidae

Festively Plump
Established Member
This is not a good comparitive test. Lots of factors could make identical cars respond differently to this test.

For me:

Concrete: NO
Asphalt: YES

SNAKESWINGER

Established Member
I've found mine makes more power now (1200 miles
:D ) than when brand new, however the surface your on, the amount of fuel on board, and the tire temp seems to make a great deal of difference I punched it last night from a 10mph roll in first gear and it just pushed me back in the seat until the tach hit 4 grand at which point the tires started spinning wildly

Users who are viewing this thread