Quick rear gear question

Slowerthnyou99

Established Member
I'll make it short and sweet.

99 cobra, bolt ons, 125 shot fogger, suspension work, 315's 555's. I do not need this car as a daily, but do drive it frequently. I am not worried about mpg, and it will never be driven long distance on the highway. I do not fear the gear and do not want to regret not going bigger. Now my heart says 4.56's but my heads telling me from what I hear it will be to much, and possibly hurt me at the 1/4 or on highspeed runs.

I do not plan on going FI in the future, only forging the rods and pistons and maybe more spray.

Let me know what you guys think.:beer:

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
You could always do the 4.56's and then change up the back tire setup to make sure you can run the 1/4 ending at the top of 4th. Just a thought.

Slowerthnyou99

Established Member
Ya, not sure if that will work well. The car is currently lowered (the way I got it) not sure if a much taller tire would fit. As it is now the fender is right on the tire and rubs from time to time.

1badblownstang

juiced snake
Established Member
There's a local guy here that has a MG01 cobra like mine. He had 4.56's and a shot gas and that car went into the 10's. I want to say he had a SRA though.

I had 4.10's in mine with 175-200 shot and it was very fast. I think you will be good with any of them.

tistan

Established Member
What are your trap speeds in the 1/4? A 4.10 gear with a 26" tall tire will give you about 130mph in 4th gear @7k rpm. A 4.56 gear will give you about 119 mph at 7k rpm in 4th.

slonech

Dark Side
Established Member
i was running a 4.56 with a 28 tall tire... and with a 100 shot i was crossing the traps at the VERY top of fourth but i was shifting a little higher out of the power band and i am sure it hurt me. If i was doing it over again i would probably do a 4.30, 28 tall, and a 150 shot.

Slowerthnyou99

Established Member
Alright 4.30's it is... I've decided on the street 4.56's may be a little to much with the bottle, and will not be able to get good mph playing around without seeing 5th gear.

Gonna order parts tomorrow should have completed next week. Got a sweet deal on install. Im pulling the diff and local shop is doing for 225.:pepper:

slonech

Dark Side
Established Member
Here is a quick night video of my 01 cobra with 4.56 gears, 28 tall tire, 150 shot in case you are curious... i had to launch NA and not spray until 3rd before i was EVER able to get traction. That was the last run my cobra saw... melton a piston and now its down for a built motor/turbo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB3U7F3hJFk

Last edited:

Slowerthnyou99

Established Member
Here is a quick night video of my 01 cobra with 4.56 gears, 28 tall tire, 150 shot in case you are curious... i had to launch NA and not spray until 3rd before i was EVER able to get traction. That was the last run my cobra saw... melton a piston and now its down for a built motor/turbo

I dont see the video attached..

1badblownstang

juiced snake
Established Member
Really! What type of shot w/ the 4.56's? 100 or 150 shot?

he was running a 150shot nx wet.

why people spend all this money on their set ups and don't spend a couple of hundred bucks on a progressive nitrous controller is beyond me.

I had a NOS mini progressive and my car would hook on kdw's in the street in any gear. The progressives control the initial shot and then how long before the full shot came on. It is as simple as turning a knob, once you get it set you can leave as hard as you want on the gas.

Slowerthnyou99

Established Member
he was running a 150shot nx wet.

why people spend all this money on their set ups and don't spend a couple of hundred bucks on a progressive nitrous controller is beyond me.

I had a NOS mini progressive and my car would hook on kdw's in the street in any gear. The progressives control the initial shot and then how long before the full shot came on. It is as simple as turning a knob, once you get it set you can leave as hard as you want on the gas.

I have been looking into maybe doing that. Everyone keeps saying 4.56's are to much for the bottle, but I can not fathom how there are cars on street tires making double the power and getting it to the ground. I guess with a controller it would make it react more like a FI and build into th spray as a Fi car builds boost before hitting its peak.

Thanks for the info!

Users who are viewing this thread