Quick Tire Question

2003RedfireCobra

Learning More Every Day
Established Member
I bought some chrome deep dish rims from m friend on here. They are 17/9 17/10.5.

I only drive my car about 5x a month. I want NITTOS but IDK which would be best? Street Tires or Drag Radials?

I only drive in sunny weather so no rain or snow.

I just wanna be able to hook when I hit the peddle.
My car is kinda "NOT" stock so I have traction issues with the stock 275's

Any info would be a great help :shrug:

R1Psycho

Established Member
Drag radials for sure. I can stand on it from 20mph on my et street radials and get traction. Any drag radial will only last 3-10K miles depending on driving style and if you do get caught in the rain.....do not go over 45 and prepare to white knuckle the wheel.

2003RedfireCobra

Learning More Every Day
Established Member
Well I dont really even race it alot. But if someone wants to start pushing the issue then yes I might give them a run...

So you think the DR huh?

So what do people usually get for the fronts? Do they have a DR for the front also or just a street tire will do fine?

03 Indy Cobra

Established Member
Hey whats up Shawn. I just went through the same thing trying to make up my mind which tires I wanted. At first I wanted a DR but then you read all the horror stories about DR's and rain. My car never sees rain but you never know when it will start raining all of a sudden. When I was doing tire research for the DR the Toyo Proxes were recomended to me but I wanted to check out the NItto NT05 DR except they don't make a 315-30-18 so that was out for me. Since you have 17's you should check out both of these tires. I went with the Michelin PS2 on all four corners 275-35-18 fronts and 315-30-18 rears.

Here is a link to the toyo's and this the cheapest place I found them.
Proxes TQ - OnlineTires.com

Here is a link to the Nitto's
Ratings, reviews and specifications for Nitto NT05R Drag Radial tires

Hope this helps. Paul

2003RedfireCobra

Learning More Every Day
Established Member
I do like those NITTO DR...Paul... but Im still worried about the rain thing also like you said. You never know!

If I was to go with those what front tired would be good? They have a DR in 275 should I get those for the front?

gargstang

Established Member
You can get the regular street tire for the front. If you go with the NT05 DR get the regular one on the front.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
it's very hard to beat the nitto NT05. If you ever expect a drop of rain, go with the 200 tread rated NT05. If rain is never going to be an issue, go with the 0 tread rated NT05r. These tires are stupendous for the price point

2003RedfireCobra

Learning More Every Day
Established Member
I usually buy from American Muscle but they only have one type of NTO5 and its the DR
They dont have a regular NTO5 ??? Is that weird sounding?

Sorry for the confusion guys Im just trying to get the perfect fit

thank you for all your help BTW

Fat-cat

Established Member
You just get the Nitto 555 's for the front the are the street tire version and have similar tread pattern.

Stalker27

Established Member
The're not lying about how water doesn't mix with dr's. I had the 315's 555r's on mine when i hit rain. God i thought for sure i was gonna lose it. Back end of the car was swaying from side to side & i was only doing 40 & off the gas trying to slow her down.

I turned on the hazzards & people got away from me. Now that i think back they HAD to see the ass end swaying.. I think the only thing that saved me that day was the fact i NEVER moved that steering wheel. I never once tried to counter cause i knew the moment i did i was gonna go sliding. Yeah my ass was very tight that day lol

DR's wear out incredibly fast too. Mine only lasted me about 3k & half miles thats it. Hooked great but didn't last for shit.

99 KOBRA

Speed Racer
Established Member
Hey man, look into some NITTO NT01's. PHENOMINAL tire!!! In both rain and sunshine. Trust me dude, those are what you should get.

01's are "R" compound road racing tires. Since they are for road racing, they have very stiff sidewalls. DR's have sidewalls that are not nearly as stiff.

Ralo

Established Member
I've got some Toyo Tq's that need to be replaced my next set will be the NT05r or MTs. If you only drive in nice weather go with the DRs. You won't regret it when your car is hooking. I don't think you should let the fact that the back tires won't match bother you either....

Last edited:

Avispa

Established Member
Have Nitto NT555s on front and back. Back are 315-35-17s. They spin like tops in 1st gear at anything over 1/2 throttle.

All the comments about rain and DRs not mixing are right on the money. There is one other item to be very carefult about:

None of these tires, DR or regular tread, has ANY road grip in cold weather. Here is a sample of the result of nailing the gas in 2d at 40 mph to pass a slowpoke. It was 20 degress outside that day and the road was dry.

COBRAWRECK004.jpg

There was NO traction. I couldn't even steer my way out of the skid.
I'm just sayin'.......

Users who are viewing this thread