Quick ?? VMP Pulley Tool

obZidian

Established Member
Hey guys... about to help a friend swap his pulley.

We picked up the VMP tool. My question is related to the clamshell and the bolt holes it has to tighten it over the pulley. Is it supposed to have threads in it? Mine doesn't. The bolts just go right through and don't really grab on to anything.

Anyways, thanks.

02GTKB

Nolimits
Established Member
Hey guys... about to help a friend swap his pulley.

We picked up the VMP tool. My question is related to the clamshell and the bolt holes it has to tighten it over the pulley. Is it supposed to have threads in it? Mine doesn't. The bolts just go right through and don't really grab on to anything.

Anyways, thanks.

Not really understanding your questions, but pics would be a big help if you can do that... I have used this tool multiple times.

obZidian

Established Member
Ok, got some crappy phone pics they'll do.

2012-04-17201357.jpg

2012-04-17201458.jpg

No Threads!!! :(

I left justin a pm.... waiting to hear back from him.

With that, do you think I can still use the puller without tightening down the clamshell bolts. Perhaps try to squeeze the clamshell onto the pulley with the other two bolts?

Thanks again people.

Last edited:

NJSP117

Established Member
Get 2 long bolts that you can use to tighten the clamshell...that'll work till you get the correct other half. Just tighten till it's snug on the pulley....then follow the directions from there.

E.Marquez

Established Member
Ok, got some crappy phone pics they'll do.

2012-04-17201357.jpg

2012-04-17201458.jpg

No Threads!!! :(

I left justin a pm.... waiting to hear back from him.

With that, do you think I can still use the puller without tightening down the clamshell bolts. Perhaps try to squeeze the clamshell onto the pulley with the other two bolts?

Thanks again people.
Look to me like you got two un threaded "top" parts of the clam shell.
And no, having just used this tool, i'd say it MUST be clamped tightly to the pulley.

If you just MUST use it in the current condition, longer bolts, hardened washers and two nuts would work.

obZidian

Established Member
Ok, thanks fella's. Gonna make a run to the home depot... as usual!

I also need two washers that go with the large nut when installing the new pulley.

obZidian

Established Member
Ok... got the tool on but....

the damn pulley wont budge! We hit it for about a minute with a torch but no dice.

Anyone have any? We don't really have a long enough extension for leverage, perhaps that's the problem.

E.Marquez

Established Member
Double check your set up.

Heating the pulley should close the deal for sure.

I've only removed the one pulley with mine, but the 1/2 drive 18" long beaker bar did fine for me.

E.Marquez

Established Member
Double check your set up.

Heating the pulley should close the deal for sure.

I've only removed the one pulley with mine, but the 1/2 drive 18" long beaker bar did fine for me.

obZidian

Established Member
I think that's where we're doing it wrong... we're only using a small ratchet as for leverage. Going to the store, again.

I read that icing it down also works. Any thoughts on that?

E.Marquez

Established Member
I think that's where we're doing it wrong... we're only using a small ratchet as for leverage. Going to the store, again.

I read that icing it down also works. Any thoughts on that?

No, not going to help.

Heating the pulley makes it expand. Cooling it to sub zero temps would have the opposite action.

obZidian

Established Member
Ok... got the pulley off with the new bolts and nuts needed to clamp on the clamshell. You were definitely right, there would of been practically no way to make it work if that was loose.

So, we went out and got a few 3/8" extensions.... we used about 16"'s total and with heating up the very "tip" of the pulley the bolt started to turn easier and easier.

Putting on the new pulley was a piece of cake. Just goes to show you that the right tools is what makes things happen.

We tested it and offically he picked up more psi, belt stayed on perfectly so success... now I can finally hit the sack.

Thanks ya'll for the help... heating up the front of the pulley really helped out tons and at the very least a 12" 3/8" extension.

NJSP117

Established Member
Ok... got the pulley off with the new bolts and nuts needed to clamp on the clamshell. You were definitely right, there would of been practically no way to make it work if that was loose.

So, we went out and got a few 3/8" extensions.... we used about 16"'s total and with heating up the very "tip" of the pulley the bolt started to turn easier and easier.

Putting on the new pulley was a piece of cake. Just goes to show you that the right tools is what makes things happen.

We tested it and offically he picked up more psi, belt stayed on perfectly so success... now I can finally hit the sack.

Thanks ya'll for the help... heating up the front of the pulley really helped out tons and at the very least a 12" 3/8" extension.

Not too bad for 8 hours work! :D :beer: Congrats!!

obZidian

Established Member
Tell me about it.... imagine how much I would of made if I was charging my buddy per hour?!!

Seriously, the pulley REALLY needed to be heated up, right in the front area.That's the only thing that made it budge except probably for the extensions.

The thing is he took it to a local shop that has been around down here for ever and he couldn't get it slide off. I was told that the bolts on his pulley tool were bending and he decided to stop so as not to hurt the tool. No other advice given to swap the pulley, no torch, nothing.... W/E, no big deal. We got it done.. cars feels snappier for sure but as to how much he picked I dunno.

Hopefully the next time we'll do it in 7 hours and save an hour for beer n pizza!

obZidian

Established Member
Just a small follow up....

I got a return PM from Justin. Indeed he is on vacation but offered to remedy the situation by sending me the threaded clamshell half and to let him know. No problems here with that as stuff just happens...

So, i appreciate him coming through and offering a solution quickly. Thanks J. The tool works great with the proper tools and a cooperating pulley so hopefully no one takes away from this that the VMP tool is junk or "epic fail" or anything like that. Its a tool, nothing else and subject to how it's implemented.

E.Marquez

Established Member
Nice follow up
I never doubted for a sec VMP would step up and take care of a simple packaging or shipping error.

Makes you wounder who got the two threaded clam shell half's in the box :D

The threaded half is just a convenience, using a full length fastener with washers and nuts on the back side is just as effective (as you found out)

Just a small follow up....

I got a return PM from Justin. Indeed he is on vacation but offered to remedy the situation by sending me the threaded clamshell half and to let him know. No problems here with that as stuff just happens...

So, i appreciate him coming through and offering a solution quickly. Thanks J. The tool works great with the proper tools and a cooperating pulley so hopefully no one takes away from this that the VMP tool is junk or "epic fail" or anything like that. Its a tool, nothing else and subject to how it's implemented.

obZidian

Established Member
That and some extensions for some leverage. Either way, the clamshell work great. Just don't grab it after heating up the pulley.... :)

Users who are viewing this thread