Quieting Down My Exhaut??

clc44

Established Member
Hey,

I just installed along tube headers, off road X pipe, Jpc ota pipes and GT500 quads. I absolutely love the sound above 3k and when winding it out. It's super quiet while cruising at 75mph but cold starts and slow take offs has too much rasp and volume. I would've kept factory ota pipes but it was welded to the mid and didn't have resonators anyways. I'm thinking about adding Magnaflow resonators (like the magnapack) to help. Should that reduce those two areas a decent amount or would I need high flow cats? Thanks for any help!

[video]https://youtu.be/qGNIuXsULDE[/video]

Or is there a better quad option? I figured the gt500's would be the quietest.

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
Lol. All that trouble and it's too loud. Find a set of factory OAP with resonators. Problem solved. So when is the big dyno day?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
^^ exactly.

It's the headers.

I had JPC OTAs, magnaflow 3" ORX, and gt500s and it was absolutely dreamy. Loved it and 0 drone whatsoever (all with factory manifolds).

I'd say install a set of Magnaflow streets.

OR... stick a pair of t4s in front of your ORX. That oughta quiet it down plenty.

:)

bunits19714

Established Member
I would look into a bullet style muffler like dynomax or even the summit brand 3" I/o w/ a 4" body which would only reduce your ground clearance by slightly over a 1/2" 4-3=1 /2 = 1/2" + material thickness. I think I tried to warn you how loud it was going to be about 3 months ago. but you know.

clc44

Established Member
I love it when I'm into the throttle. There's only a certain range that is too loud. It is that 1500 to about 2300 range that's is a little bit loud. I can handle it. But would rather be a little bit quieter. I'm thinking just adding a resonator should resolve the issue. It's not like it's something I couldn't deal with. I'll wait until I see the dyno numbers before I say I should've just done off road mid.

clc44

Established Member
I would look into a bullet style muffler like dynomax or even the summit brand 3" I/o w/ a 4" body which would only reduce your ground clearance by slightly over a 1/2" 4-3=1 /2 = 1/2" + material thickness. I think I tried to warn you how loud it was going to be about 3 months ago. but you know.
I went to the muffler shop, they do a lot of performance cars. We have a lot of room to move the exhaust upward, then we can add the resonator and it'll have about or slightly better clearance than it does now. The only think I've scraped is the flex pipe, which is getting removed. The headers don't hang really low, the flex pipe sags and angles downward causing the rest of the exhaust to hang low. We're going to cut out the flex pipe and move the pipe up as much as we can, then I'll add the Magnaflow resonator. It seems like the M has the most material inside the casing, which should eat up some of the rasp and volume. I don't want it much quieter, especially at WOT which I love the sound at the moment. I do not regret my decision, it will only help future modifications. I hope top get to the dyno in the next few weeks. I want to get the very slight rubbing issue with the steering shaft and get the resonators installed. I'm hoping for 400-415 range. Anything over 400 will make me happy. I know it's just a number, but I want that number lol. I feel like adding cats isn't necessary to get the volume I want out of the set up.

For people looking to do headers. If you have patience and know a good exhaust shop, I'd install headers and have them make an x pipe. The cheapest I could get the pypes for was $224 and it has the flex pipes, which suck other than helping with the install. Headers: $305, custom X pipe should be around $200-250 and you're done.

Worst case I can go straight thru muffler, it won't have the sound of baffles.

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
I have both pypes x pipes and when I had my gt500s on with the longtubes, I noticed that the off road made them a little more raspy especially downshifting. I know that the cats on the pypes mid don't seem that big, but I think they would help a little IMO.

clc44

Established Member
I have both pypes x pipes and when I had my gt500s on with the longtubes, I noticed that the off road made them a little more raspy especially downshifting. I know that the cats on the pypes mid don't seem that big, but I think they would help a little IMO.

Can you buy just their cats? Would they help more than a resonator without robbing much power? I really don't need it toned down much. I just ant to get rid of a little rasp. Thanks!!

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
They sell cats, but to me the picture doesn't really look like the ones on their x pipe. I'm not sure if they would help more than a resonator because I had borla over the axle pipes. I really didn't notice a power difference between the two.

clc44

Established Member
Got ya. I think I'll go with the resonators. When I removed my factory ones I noticed I big different in tone and loudness.

rotarymagic

Established Member
I run dynomax bullets (post x pipe) on my offroad x + kooks catback setup. It makes the sound deeper and quieter than running without them. It cuts down rasp alittle too. The car is VERY quiet at very light throttle acceleration and even at WOT it's still not ear piercing.

clc44

Established Member
I run dynomax bullets (post x pipe) on my offroad x + kooks catback setup. It makes the sound deeper and quieter than running without them. It cuts down rasp alittle too. The car is VERY quiet at very light throttle acceleration and even at WOT it's still not ear piercing.
I looked at some other options that might affect the sound more. MBRP has a great looking option and so does Magnaflow, both are
MBRP.jpg
Also considering the Magnaflow resonator, it seems to have more packing. Both of these look like they'd quiet it down more than the Dynamax.

What size body was yours? 12" or 16"
I have Dynamax on my car, they made a slight impact on DB, but not much.
What size are your bullet mufflers? 12" or 16" body... Also, my exhaust guy said that going 2.5" would be better for reducing size, but wouldn't it choke it down a bit? If it cost me some power I def won't do that and I'll go 3", which is what I'm probably going to do anyways.

Thanks for your help!

Sizeth3

Established Member
IMO these cars get way too loud without cats/resonators, not sure what it is. I have been watching dyno videos/drag videos of supercharged coyotes, depending on the exhaust setup some of these cars you can't even hear the supercharger over the sound of the exhaust.

If it were me, I think you are on the right track, I would add resonators in a location similar to where the factory resonators were located. Dynomax Bullet mufflers might be a good choice for this, as I believe they will not limit flow and are reasonably priced.

Users who are viewing this thread