Quieting shifter.. the MGW way?

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
shiftkit-x.jpg

I've read that the MGW on a 5.0, Tri Ax, or even stock shifter helps create a better feel as well as some noise redution.

On the site, it states "Kit comes with 2 options for mounting to your shifter. Either 2 thin rubber washers for a rigid feel (works best if your car is stock) or our own special rubber flange to really quiet down those noisy aftermarket shifters."

Basically a piece of rubber between the handle and shifter to absorb some of the noise. Has anyone else tried a homegrown solution like this? Seems like a quick trip to the hardware store to me..
:shrug:

Pyro

Established Member
I have the MGW on my Pro 5.0 and it IS quieter. I had the original Pro 5.0 handle for about a week and I noticed the difference besides the more comfy feel. The Pro 5.0 went straight up while the MGW bends towards the driver at various angles depending on how you set it up. The MGW handle is great and worth every penny.

Andorion

ÆNIMAL
Established Member
I use that bushing, and my Tri-Ax is still noisier than stock, but not annoying-noisy. Another option is for you to pop the bushing off the stock handle (it's shaped just like the one in the above picture) and use that instead of the supplied washers for whatever handle you use.

~Berj

TXFLYME1

Pay No Attention
Established Member
I've got the 5.0 and I used the rubber part that was between the stock shifter and handle the same way to cut down on the noise. Works good.

Wraith_Cobra

Established Member
You can also use a piece or two of innertube material to isolate the handle from the shifter for similar results. The noise never bothered me, and when I turned up the radio I didn't even hear it.

Mike
Silver 10th Anniversary Coupe

Users who are viewing this thread