Quiting Drinking Question

Cobra03FLA

Titties & Beer!
Established Member
Ok I would appreciate serious answers please. I have been drinking a lot over the past 20+ years (Im 41) I have been drinking 6 to 10 beers a night more on the weekends. So i have tapered down to 2 a night. The first nite with only 2 I couldnt sleep and was sweating ALOT. I quess this is alcohol withdrawl. Anyone have a experience with this. Mainly how long will it last? Thanks Eric

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
good luck man! i havent quit... but i noticed that i could drink WAY to much with out really being drunk so ive tried to cut back and so far this year ive had a 5 or 6 beers all year.

btw im 24 and could kill almost case on my own. before i got drunk

STR8JAKT

Tis but a Scratch
Established Member
been there and know what you saying. give it a couple of days and you'll be fine. if you cut back on the quanity every night you'll get to the point where you can have none at all and sleep like a baby. on a joking side stop drinking bud, that sh$$ will kill you.

DrivenVA

Established Member
Ok I would appreciate serious answers please. I have been drinking a lot over the past 20+ years (Im 41) I have been drinking 6 to 10 beers a night more on the weekends. So i have tapered down to 2 a night. The first nite with only 2 I couldnt sleep and was sweating ALOT. I quess this is alcohol withdrawl. Anyone have a experience with this. Mainly how long will it last? Thanks Eric

Cobra,
That certainly sounds like alcohol withdrawal to me. I have no experience with that so I cannot guess at how long it might last, but have you considered joining a support group like Alanon? I'm fairly certain that the amount you have been drinking for years constitutes alcoholism. I applaud you for taking the initiative to cut down your intake and think that a support group might help keep you off the sauce during the rough times.

Dominion

I'm your Huckleberry..
Established Member
Alcohol withdrawals can kill you, i would see a doctor and yes i am serious.

You are right. Seriously i had a friend that would wake up for work at 6am. Down a beer, and grab 2 for his way to work, then he would have acouple more throughout the day.

We went camping one weekend, ran out of beer for 2 days, this guy was throwing up, looked like shit, pale, sweating. All because he had no beer in his system

Go to a Doctor asap.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Your making the right move. I admit I drink way to much beer, we are the same age too. When I was in my 20's I was a weekend drinker, in my 30's I went from weekends to weeknights, now in my 40's it's every night. I need to stop too. The weight gain, hypertension, it's all not worth it, problem is I enjoy my beer.

Dominion

I'm your Huckleberry..
Established Member
Your making the right move. I admit I drink way to much beer, we are the same age too. When I was in my 20's I was a weekend drinker, in my 30's I went from weekends to weeknights, now in my 40's it's every night. I need to stop too. The weight gain, hypertension, it's all not worth it, problem is I enjoy my beer.

There is nothing wrong with enjoying a cold brew once a night with dinner. :beer:

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
Good luck man. I myself am 21 and attend a school that drinks way too much. I am at the point in my life where I am trying to avoid a similar fate. Weening was an excellent first step. The last part will be the hardest, just keep slowly decreasing your intake. But do see a Doctor!!!!!!

terrible one

American Made
Established Member
yes that is alcohol withdrawl, i see it a lot at my job. how long will it last is hard to say, usually the longer you've been drinking the more used your body is to the substance therefore the longer it will take to get everything back in check.
it'll get easier as time goes on the first 3-4 days are really hard but after a week or two you should start seeing some improvement

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
see a doctor no matter what it cant hurt you thats for sure, he most likely will have advice that will help the symptoms

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
I've seen multiple people come to my work and snap after a few months. They ALWAYS say they used to never drink and now drink a 12 pack every night after dealing with dumbass indians all day. I realized the same thing happened to me and I couldn't figure out why. It was all cause of work. Now that I know that, I'm able to deal with it better and not drink 10 beers or a 5th of Jack every night. Good luck.

Yellow98SVT

T-trim, bitches
Established Member
Youre body has gotten used to falling asleep with alchohol. I was the same way with grass when I was younger and I quit. It takes youre body a while to adjust. I went a couple months and didn't sleep terribly well before my body learned to sleep without it. At the time it sucked, but, you get past it. If you really can't sleep take a Benadryl and if it's bad...go to a doctor and get some Ambien. I was surprised how supportive the Doc was when I told him I needed some help as a result of quitting. Just be careful and don't start relying on any other medications the way you might have with the alchohol. It does you no good to stop drinking and pick up a habit for sleeping pills. It will get better

Users who are viewing this thread