Race 2011 Gt at Willow Springs Raceway

whitemustang

Follow the lines
Established Member
I have had my 2011 GT for two months now. I have to say it's a good car. I bought it to replace my 87 track prep Fox body Mustang. The Fox body runs good still it just that it should be trailered to track. I wanted something more refine ezier on the long trip to the track and back.

I sad to say the GT was not my first choice of a track/weekend cars. It turns out that the cars look at first where to small for me and then some guys told me I should look at the Mustang. I was so focus on sport cars and exotic cars did think Mustang. Anyhow after test driving the car I was sold.

Took the car out to Cobra Club track day event at Willow Springs 2 weeks ago. Meet up with old track buddy that has a very fast 2004 Cobra. I was timid a little on Saturday because I never been on the big track at Willow, I was also driving a new car, and other cars in the group are more race car then street cars. As the weekend went on and help from Carlos and Mike. With following there lines and tire pressure . I was getting up to speed.

The car did good as I was hoping and wish it would do. The car is dialed in. I figure it would be from the factory that while I'm leaving it alone. Only upgrades I did was Mufflers, K/N filter, and did a custom Brake air ducts in front by using duct mounts from a Boss 302R. Cars brakes did not let me down once even at 130-135 mph. Handles great. Nice road feel, able to control it by trottle, not much understeer, felt light for a large car. I had the traction control on all weekend. Was able to slide/drift all 4 tires with it in corners. Was able have the rear slide bit out with power on turns. a amazing how good these system is now days. It only came on when I went over the hill on the back straight with to much speed and a front tire went air born.

I was one only stock or street cars that weekend. Was not a time event. I had a fun heat run with a 1965 GT350R race car with a high horsepower dart block 363ci engine. He came over after our fun run. He was surprised it was a stock GT on street tires. He mention it's a 138 or 137 car . I didn't know what he meant until later. Car was doing 1.38 maybe 1.37 lap time on the real clean and fast runs(when I was hold my speed in 8 & 9). That was the similiar times he was running. So happy to hear that.

The car ran great and feels great. I was a little 2nd guessing my self before that weekend. I knew that the BOSS 302 was coming out when I was buying my car. Decided to go with the GT figure it would be fast enough, and I couldn't afford it after the 5k-1oK mark up. Sure I would love have a Boss . That car has everything that I have done in the past for the track on it already. After my weekend with the car I'm happy with my choice. Also with R compond tires would be as same lap time as the Boss .

Overall have to say was one best track day weekend. Got to race with some my favorite cars, had a good time , car is did great, and I was with good company this weekend .
201150a.jpg

DSC06620.jpg

201150c.jpg

DSC06682.jpg

DSC06667.jpg

DSC06700.jpg

Last edited:

2013Boss302

Established Member
god i love big willow. i raced it in my evo x, i want to do streets of willow and big willow this year in my 5.0

turn 9 is kind of sketchy though lol. gotta love that track!

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
AWESOME! This is the exact type of posts I have been waiting to hear about!

These cars are really right! Try putting some 18"x9" Enkei FP01s with some 275/35r18 R compounds on there and that bone stock car will be FLYING!!!
The stock 19" wheels and tires are ridiculously heavy, you could potentially save close to 70 pounds in ROTATING WEIGHT!(from what I have read:read:)

We all know the benefits of weight reduction and most of also know that rotating weight reduction is almost x4 the effect.

This is an exciting time for me to see Ford get these cars this dialed in right out of the box!:rockon::beer:

whitemustang

Follow the lines
Established Member
I like big Willow too, it was a blast. I have always ran on Streets Willow witch also great in the past with my Fox 5.0 mustang. Next outing with the new car will be on streets.

These cars are really right! Try putting some 18"x9" Enkei FP01s with some 275/35r18 R compounds on there and that bone stock car will be FLYING!!!
The stock 19" wheels and tires are ridiculously heavy, you could potentially save close to 70 pounds in ROTATING WEIGHT!(from what I have read:read:)

We all know the benefits of weight reduction and most of also know that rotating weight reduction is almost x4 the effect.

This is an exciting time for me to see Ford get these cars this dialed in right out of the box!:rockon::beer:

Your right the stock 19" are heavy and tall. I have some FR500 18" wheels and fit on the car but are heavy but less weight. I also have some Fikse 18x10" wheel with r Comps on the Fox body mustang. I have to see if they will fit on the 2011. I picked up 2 secs with these wheel on the Fox body. I should pick the same up with 2011 too. Hope they fit.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSgOVQkuCEw"]YouTube - 2011 Mustang 03 & 04 Cobra Racing At Willow Springs Raceway[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD5bvqeIAJI"]YouTube - 2011 GT Mustang & 04 Cobra Willow Springs[/nomedia]

willow springs 10-31-10

Last edited:

grnenvy

Established Member
Yes

I have to agree with Jimmy. I put a set of Super Snake wheels on my car with some wide tires and it handles so much better. I took a couple pounds off the car at the same time..

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
There is an awesome thread being complied by the guy that owns Vorshlag Motorsports about his 2011 GT for track autocross and street.

The tech is off the hook.
Be careful if you decide to post on corner carvers, they are hard core and very strict with the rules, they are even picky about which e-mail service you are using.
Most guys I know just read there and hardly post since it's safest that way.

He is posting there and also has his own forum and is posting there also.
[ame=http://www.vorshlag.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7806]Vorshlag 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 - auto-x/track build - Vorshlag Motorsports Forum[/ame]

The wheel tech in this thread is exceedingly good and it is targeted at the S197 2011 cars. These cars like the offset to be favored toward the inside a great deal more than the sn95 cars.

grnenvy

Established Member
yo

Very nice find! This company seems like they will be very helpful with getting the new stang around the corners better and beating up on the imports. I like to see other companys other then Saleen or Steeda taking interest in corner carving the new stang it just shows how good it is!

There is an awesome thread being complied by the guy that owns Vorshlag Motorsports about his 2011 GT for track autocross and street.

The tech is off the hook.
Be careful if you decide to post on corner carvers, they are hard core and very strict with the rules, they are even picky about which e-mail service you are using.
Most guys I know just read there and hardly post since it's safest that way.

He is posting there and also has his own forum and is posting there also.
Vorshlag 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 - auto-x/track build - Vorshlag Motorsports Forum

The wheel tech in this thread is exceedingly good and it is targeted at the S197 2011 cars. These cars like the offset to be favored toward the inside a great deal more than the sn95 cars.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread