Raced '99 Z28(modded) w/ son then mom driving!

Gray03Cobra

Established Member
Strange night:p
I went down to the local 1/8th mile track for a little test and tune runnin last night. Up comes this nice young high schooler fella I've seen before. We talk a bit about his launches and shift points. His whole family is there, except dad.

Anyway, we agree to line up and run. There are about 600 people there (gate lady said so) and on the first run I take him by about 4-5 lengths. Running a 8.78 at 89mph. Not pushing my rpms too much before each shift...just gettin down the track. We come back and talk about it and his mom (a nice "normal lookcin lady) slides behind the wheel of her son's Z28. He's trying to talk her into running! A few minutes later and we move off to the staging lanes...I get out to ask her a few ?'s and she seems good with everything.

She smiles to her son up in the staging area, who continues to talk mom and dad into buying some more mods for his car. He has a SLP catback, SLP Airbox, and modded Hurst shifter. and an ignition system/chip. Anyway, We run and Im trying not to blow her away because he asks me to be easy on her and I pull one of my best times . Darn don't you hate it when that happens, and she misses a 2-3 shift. Her time was a respectable 10.8 at 77mph, mine a 8.57 at 94mph. We get out and laugh it up.

She all pumped and wants to have another go! OK, you sure about this, and we jump in and get back in line for the 2nd run. Announcer dude catches on to it and tells the crowd that the kids mom wants another crack at the Cobra. I was having fun too.

Anyway, this time she takes off in 3rd, but d/s to 2nd really quick and then gets back into it and makes a decent run outta junk for a 9.97 at 80mph. We get back and all she wants to know from her son is if she beat Dad's time. He cringes and say's no mom. I thought she was gonna want to go again! I ran the son again and the poor kid has a R/t of 1.8sec. We laughed about that later with his mom who seems to be warming up to all this Drag Racing stuff. Telling me she had a Mustang growing up and used to run a few street races! If was a pretty cool time. And, I bet the kid gets a few extra $$'s in his allowance for mods and stuff.:burnout:

Kimcobra

Established Member
Sounds like alot of fun at the track.I hope to get a couple runs in this year.If I can get my husband to give me some pointers.He trys but gets aggravated after a while.Yes I am a blonde.No blonedstar jokes please..

Gray03Cobra

Established Member
Blonde...drives Cobra...cool

Originally posted by Kimcobra
Sounds like alot of fun at the track.I hope to get a couple runs in this year.If I can get my husband to give me some pointers.He trys but gets aggravated after a while.Yes I am a blonde.No blonedstar jokes please..

KimCobra, I see nothing wrong with that. Blondies have the same right to drive a cool car as the rest of the world. I bet you get many of the stranger types trying to run you down. Even if you show your ring off. forgive the image but a pretty blonde woman driving a fast/sexy car, wow...you have a lucky husband.

As for teaching you to drive, think about this. Go see a professional about that. For instance the Boundurant School specializes in Mustang/Cobra's. Your hubbie probably isn't an accredited teacher like their Pro's. And they have a wonderful facility. I learned mucho methods and techniques such as how to drive a powerful rear-drive car in the rain. It would make a great vacation.

And no blondie jokes...did you hear the one about...(just kidding)
:beer:

Brad00L

Established Member
Did you go to HSV 1/8mile... DSG cobra with machined wheels.. I usually run out there. Dude there is no way in hell you are trapping 94 mph.. I got a lot more mods than you and I can drive pretty decent.. My best in this heat is a 7.78 @ 94.23 with a 1.90 60ft. On the stock Goodyear F1's. There is one DSG car out last time there that was running high 8's at with mid 80 trap speeds that had a K&N FIPK and not the stock f1's.

But anyways nice races.

Gray03Cobra

Established Member
I stand corrected

Originally posted by Brad00L
Did you go to HSV 1/8mile... DSG cobra with machined wheels.. I usually run out there. Dude there is no way in hell you are trapping 94 mph.. I got a lot more mods than you and I can drive pretty decent.. My best in this heat is a 7.78 @ 94.23 with a 1.90 60ft. On the stock Goodyear F1's. There is one DSG car out last time there that was running high 8's at with mid 80 trap speeds that had a K&N FIPK and not the stock f1's.

But anyways nice races.

You are right, the Trap here at H'Ville was at 88mph, tires are PirelliPZero's

I followed the line on my spreadsheet wrong. Keeping track of all my #'s as I mod.

Have I modded some more than in my sig. Yes. But that's because there are more parts in transit to me now. In fact I just put the Diablo to work this morning, along with 2.93 on top.

You know the deal, it's hard to sit on a mod and not find out your times are. My best was obtained at Alabama Intn'l in Steele which is a pretty darn good surface. Dynos will follow

I should be back in town in 2-3 weeks after a trip to Dallas maybe we can get tegether then.

Brad00L

Established Member
Sounds good. I go to Steele every now and then! My best is a 11.89 @ 120 about 2 months ago on the goodyear F1's. just let me know on here when your going back to the track on here and I'll have to go. I got a few little mods I need to try out.

Yellow98SVT

T-trim, bitches
Established Member
Hey, I went to UAH and now live in Nashville. I make it down there every now and thenn to see friends in 5 points. Where is the track in Huntsvegas you guys??

Gray03Cobra

Established Member
Its on 53 North

Originally posted by Yellow98SVT
Hey, I went to UAH and now live in Nashville. I make it down there every now and thenn to see friends in 5 points. Where is the track in Huntsvegas you guys??

If you followed Jordan Lane north it's about 6 to 8 miles outside the C-limits. They have a map on the websiteHuntsville Dragway

BTW It's one of the Bracket racer heavens of the south.

WDW MKR

Established Member
Sounds like a good time! :thumbsup:
I wanted to hit Huntsville on Saturday night, but couldn't make it. I have yet to visit that track since moving here. How is Steele since they did the resurface? It was horrible when I went back in Jan/Feb.

Gray03Cobra

Established Member
Track Surfaces

Originally posted by WDW MKR
Sounds like a good time! :thumbsup:
I wanted to hit Huntsville on Saturday night, but couldn't make it. I have yet to visit that track since moving here. How is Steele since they did the resurface? It was horrible when I went back in Jan/Feb.

The track at H-ville looks pretty beat up. The right lane is the one. Left side is slippery. I can't leave at over 2 grand or it's smoke city. I've been there 4 times now and still have only 2 decent runs. But even my worst run at Steele is faster and quicker for the 1/8th.

The one at Steele is pretty smooth since the rebuild. The entrance to Steele is still messed up pretty bad. But the rest of the facility is wide open. I wonder which way the prevailing wind goes, up or down track. If its down track then you could run some quick times. Overall, its a nice 1/4 mile track.

Brad00L

Established Member
Gray03Cobra: You got to learn to slip the clutch dumping the clutch on street tires at any track will result in tire smoke. When my car had cold air and cat-back. I would launch at 3200 and slip it a little with 1.8 60ft and I ran a best of 7.98 @ 90.34 mph. But the weather was a little cooler.

wdw mkr: HSV is a great track... not good looking by no means but hooks very well..They prep it before every t & t... I cut a 1.88 60ft on f1's...

In my lightning I cut 1.79 60ft on the factory tires... So yes it hooks very well. I have good luck in both lanes.. Steele on the other hand is allright for street tires but for et streets or drag radials it SUCKS.. Steele is pretty much the same as it was in jan/feb.. Only difference being the shut down area is paved.

Last edited:

Gray03Cobra

Established Member
Brad00L you wrote. "Gray03Cobra: You got to learn to slip the clutch dumping the clutch on street tires at any track will result in tire smoke. When my car had cold air and cat-back. I would launch at 3200 and slip it a little with 1.8 60ft and I ran a best of 7.98 @ 90.34 mph. But the weather was a little cooler."

Yah, I gotta work on slippin the clutch. Because dumping it like this is costing my 60 ft times to hover above 2 secs. .:bash

I've seen you drive this track pretty good, but don't try an sell me that its a "good track". I will give you that under the circumstances it is a pretty good 1/8th milel bracket racer's track.

Nothing wrong with that. But if you want your "best possible time" find the best possible situation. (Steele is only 70 miles) I don't want to dis my local track. Going there all the time has been great, great people. But, I have a feeling that I/we could get better times, trap speeds and etc... without the monsoon conditions, and huge cracks.

I hope you could get to do several runs on the tracks in Houston TX, Englishtown, Seattlke Wash, San Antonio TX, or the one in Rockingham N.C. Man they have tracks. With all they have to offer the bennies are worth the price.

Course, we do get to run for free sometimes and you can't beat that! :rockon:

WDW MKR

Established Member
I'll be sure to check out HSV. I'm not a big fan of 1/8th mile but, at least it's close. It took me less than an hour to get to Steele so, I wanna head back for some more runs. I cut 1.8x 60' times on the factory F1s, back in Ohio. I've only ran the new DRs once and was in the 1.9x range. Once I got the new tires figured out, it was time to go home!
What night do you guys typically go to either track? Anyone frequent the Moulton track?

Brad00L

Established Member
I usually go on wed. nights. I get there about 6pm. I sometimes go on sat. nights but it's midnight madness and there is a lot of cars out there that go through the water box and a lot of imports which makes the track a little less sticky.

TheOne™

Established Member
heh, its like the other day i went to a 1/8 mile. an old woman(probably 50's) was drivin a 99 camaro....z28 or SS, it quite some mods and runnin high 7's i think.mostly ~8.2secs.

oh yeah....my brother's girlfriend owns a 97 eclipse, he took her to the races and she seems to have liked it.

my oldest brother(the 1 who owns the mustang) makes 8.7secs on normal street tires(1/8mile), constant 8.5secs with slicks....my other brother made 8.3secs with slicks(he's not the owner of the mustang, but am guessin he knows how to work the shifting better).

TheOne™

Established Member
heh, its like the other day i went to a 1/8 mile. an old woman(probably 50's) was drivin a 99 camaro....z28 or SS, it quite some mods and runnin high 7's i think.mostly ~8.2secs.

oh yeah....my brother's girlfriend owns a 97 eclipse, he took her to the races and she seems to have liked it.

my oldest brother(the 1 who owns the mustang) makes 8.7secs on normal street tires(1/8mile), constant 8.5secs with slicks....my other brother made 8.3secs with slicks(he's not the owner of the mustang, but am guessin he knows how to work the shifting better).

Users who are viewing this thread