raced a c5 vette tonight... whats wrong with my car?

svtguy22

Established Member
Alright, tonight i raced a c5 vette from about 50 to 120ish. He was right beside me the whole time!! wtf is goin on. I thought I would be able to pull him.

I put down 462 to the wheels and i talked with him at the gas station and he showed me that he only had intake and a catback. He said he wasnt on the bottle but I didnt check his trunk, but saw no visable hardware in the engine bay. We also raced from like a 15 roll and he pulled me!! I was spinning but only a little. I am a good driver, shift well, and know how to launch as well as possible on the 275's.

Today I did disconnect my battery... only drove it for about 2 hours before the race.. And before the race I was driving around the city for about an hour running some errands.

Nothing sounded out of place in my car, felt strong... although it sure as hell doesnt anymore.

Is this normal? Im about to sell this bitch for a c6 now. The guy in the c5 was cool, I just couldnt believe it.

:??:

Last edited:

svtguy22

Established Member
03MUSCLE said:
That Dose'nt Sound Right At All, Did He Have Gears Or Something?

I didn't ask.. But I am assuming its about a 100hp at least difference. Even if he did I shoulda pulled him...

damn car

2004silvercobra

Established Member
sounds about right if hes only at 350 and your at 460 but at 3800+ lbs and hes at 3200+ and has more top end hes gonna be right there. but at the track u have him for sure

Duran

Matador
Established Member
You should have been up front by atleast a car. Possible reasons include: Heat soaked and the fact that those cars are lighter and more aerodynamic.

CobraKraiger

Know Not Anxiety Or Fear
Established Member
I think your numbers are inflated I just reraced my friends C-5 z06 again. He has long tubes a catless xpipe and electric cutouts with a tune he made 385whp and 378wtq I raced him the first time with just a catback and intake and he walked me hard by about 4 through a gear. I now added a 2.76 pulley and idlers and dynod 430whp and 460wtq and tonight we raced and It was about a car in his favor from a second gear roll to about 120mph. Everyone tells me my numbers are low but I think people are getting inflated numbers. Take a look at FAsnakes videos with his c-6 he walks three cobras one claiming to make 470hrspwr and 480tq or something like that and he walks him out making around 385 horse in his vette. Check out his vids but I think you have inflated numbers. No offense intended.

WRXBen

Established Member
i was the one who raced cobrakraiger and i agree with what he says. one thing i have noticed is that pullied cobra's make anywhere between 420-475 and yet all these people seem to get pulled the same by vettes with 375-385.

dont get me wrong, the cobra is a nice car for what it is and makes a great deal of power, but just as you guys tell the stis, evos, mach1s, srts no matter how much you do if they do the same they will get you.

most stock z's run 12.2-12.6 bone stock, and high 11s with tires and or excellent driving. i bet with your setup you are in the high 11 to low 12 range so it shouldnt suprise you.

i would not sell my car just because of 1 loss if i were you or you will end up selling any car you own (there is always someone faster)

good luck
Ben

red92

Never To Fast
Established Member
Good call "There is always someone faster". Another thing is, all of these cars run differently. I have an 03DSG and it's pullied with a Stg III, My boy has an 02 ZO6 and I can pull him slightly but other cobras I have seen him race (that have about the same stuff) have lost to him.

Just my $.02

WRXBen

Established Member
svtguy22 said:
I am not talking about a c6 or a c5 z06. This was just a c5 vette...

wow, thats a different story. maybe he had a cam? i doubt he sprayed simply because it would have made you lose by several cars, but you never know.

now i am worried that something was wrong (either with yours or his)

Ben

CobraKraiger

Know Not Anxiety Or Fear
Established Member
Hmmm just a C-5 I would bet my money on him having a cam and a very quiet exhuast. Probably making good power and just giving you the run around.

speeddemon2000

Established Member
Something sound fishy here.

I have raced several C5s with when I just had a 2.8 pulley exhaust and intake an I trounced the C5s by a bunch. A couple of things to look at.

1. Look at your plugs make sure they aren't screwed up.
2. Make sure you SC belt isn't screwed up.
3. Look at you idler pulley's. I have seen the bearing in these go and cause alot of additional drag.
4. Check and make sure your I/C is flowing and working correctly.

gotboost03

gotboost?
Established Member
JMO. Its possible he had work done but maybe not. Vettes are fast cars and have great accel. better then the Cobras that I have seen. I think you could beat him but pulling on him will be tough. from a slower roll I think you should be a little ahead and from 50 you should have had him by 2. My cobra pulls best from 40 or better in 3rd gear from there its strong up to 120 or so. I never heard of inflated numbers but could be. And weight is an issue but shouldnt win the race. I say try again.

ViciousJay

Established Member
2004silvercobra said:
sounds about right if hes only at 350 and your at 460 but at 3800+ lbs and hes at 3200+ and has more top end hes gonna be right there. but at the track u have him for sure

ok 3200+ is not right... more like 3400+ driver in a C5 Vette...

gears will not make a huge impact of a roll race and if it did it would only slow him down i would think

you said ihe was on spray right? or had it in the trunk right? if so ill bet he was sprayin' also how is your driver mod, not trying to get personal

ViciousJay

Established Member
Screamin Cobra said:
I have seen basic C5's go high 12's with just an intake over here. But even then, you should have toasted him...
Anything can happen on the streets.
yea like traction

KingCobra03SVT

10th Anniversary Edition
Established Member
My guess would be that he had some other work done or your car wasnt performing like it should have been. I know Vettes are great performance cars especially with mods but its hard for me to believe with an intake and catback with that power you are putting down at the wheels that a C5 could stick next to you or beat you.

Ive raced a C5 ZO6 and beat him 3 times. The first two times beating him pretty decently. So Im honestly skeptical right now.

svtguy22

Established Member
Im a good driver. I am beginning to think he had some kind of mild cam or something, but I dont like making excuses.

When we were going like 50 and he was in gear at a high rev, there was a TON of noise coming from his intake. The sound is hard to explain but it was LOUD. He said LS1's with the big intake filters make these noises.. any idea on what that is?

Users who are viewing this thread