Raced a LS1 Camaro SS

CobraSS

Established Member
On the way home just about 5 minutes ago. I was going down the highway and saw a LS1 Camaro SS turn onto the highway. I waited for him to catch up and he threw me a rev as he passed. So I matched his speed and down shifted to 4th. We slowed to about 65mph and I could hear him changing gears. I waited for him to hit it and then I did. BAD gear choice on my part. He walked my *ss by about a car length by the time we hit 120 mph :( I caught up to him and gave him a thumbs up. We made our way through some more traffic and then I waited for him again when there was a clear spot. This time I was in third and we went from about 70 mph. I jumped about 1/2 a car and then he very slowly dropped back to my back bumper by the time we hit 120 mph, much better :rolling: We came into town and we rolled our windows down. He said he had a cam and exhaust and that was it. He asked what I had and I told him filter and mufflers. A wave from each of us and we went our separate ways.

Man, I love this car. I really thought I would have beat him by more, but you never know what the other guy is packing. I guess I learned not to mess around and do it right the first time. Glad we got a rematch, so I could redeem myself :)

His car was an orange/bronze color and the back of the car were it says CAMARO was all black. Don't know if that means anything other than he might have had body damage and never got the new panel painted? Just thought I would throw the color in for the Chevy experts to narrow down the year.

03 Cobra = 1 LS1 Camaro SS = 1

:( my first street loss :(

Last edited:

vertcobra99

dacube
Established Member
if he had a cam then i would say you hung with him pretty well conisidering most people with ls1's usually add LT's to go with their cam... the results you got i would be very happy with considering your mods...

CobraSS

Established Member
Yeah, I was thinking it was pretty fishy that all he would have was a cam and exhaust. I would guess he would at least have a filter, and some other small mods (throttle body, chip). I don't know to many people that do a cam as their only mod. But he made it a point to say it was all he had. I will say this, his car sounded bad *ss. Nice car and seemed like a nice guy. We were both grinnen from ear to ear :)

03SLOBRA

Trollin aint easy
Established Member
Good run. A cammed and bolt on modded SS manual could put down anywhare from 335-370 rwhp depending on what other mods are added and how crazy the cam specs. So thats why it became a drivers race your probably making a bit more power but your car weighs more too so hence it was close! Good kill, gear selection is important!

03 svtvenom

Repent!!!
Established Member
Originally posted by CobraSS
Yeah, I was thinking it was pretty fishy that all he would have was a cam and exhaust. I would guess he would at least have a filter, and some other small mods (throttle body, chip). I don't know to many people that do a cam as their only mod. But he made it a point to say it was all he had. I will say this, his car sounded bad *ss. Nice car and seemed like a nice guy. We were both grinnen from ear to ear :)

If I would have pulled up to the light and gave everyone a list of all my mods (my old 96 cobra) we would have been there all day. Their not always going to tell you everything!! Besides headers are considered part of the "exhaust system".

CobraSS

Established Member
Yes, headers are considered an exhaust part. I guess when someone tells me they have exhaust I figure they are talking cat-back. Either way I had fun and that is all that matters in my book.

Stewart

Worldwide panhandler
Established Member
Holy poop:eek:

A LS1 race and the post is staying civil. Wow.

Nice race. And nice car CobraSS.

Stu

4.6 Love

Established Member
Good kill. Has anyone here ever heard of a Berger SS? I seen an article about it along time ago, but I dont remember what magazine, it came in different stages 1,2,3 I believe?

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I had my car for 1 week and had the exact same race with an SS the exact same color. I had CAI and catback.

I put mine into 4th as well at 70mph, and he was walking off from me until he shifted from 3rd to 2nd instead of 4th, so I still won. We went again to let us get a clean run, but this time I put it in third. I put a whole car on him right when we hit it, and then pulled further from there. He too had LT headers, intake, cam, and electronic cutouts.

After the race, he said, "Damn! What did you do the second time? Do you have N20?" I laughed and said, "No, my dumb ass put it in the right gear this time".

It really does make a big difference.

cydewaze

the bat!!!
Established Member
Originally posted by CobraSS
His car was an orange/bronze color and the back of the car were it says CAMARO was all black. Don't know if that means anything other than he might have had body damage and never got the new panel painted?
I think some people do that to imitate the paint scheme of the ZL1 Camaros. Those things are bad azz.

rear.jpg

More info on those here

TRDNiteLife

UVBNBIT
Established Member
Good kill and good death.

Thanks for the ZL1 info. From what I read those look pretty badass.

Last edited:

CobraSS

Established Member
Originally posted by dangerousmiguel
Good kill. Has anyone here ever heard of a Berger SS? I seen an article about it along time ago, but I dont remember what magazine, it came in different stages 1,2,3 I believe?

I have heard of it and read articles about it, but I can't really remember anything about it other than they are rare, expensive and if I remember correctly they are the badest of the bad. It's amazing how much I forget when I switched back to the Blue Oval :)

Ryan00TJ

Established Member
Cammed LS1's can give an 03 without a pulley a good run for their money with a slight edge going to the LS1. For the 6 speed cars with full bolt ons and depending on the size cam power can be from 360 rwhp to 420 rwhp on stock heads. I raced a stock 03 when I had 366 rwhp @ 361 rwtq and it came down to who hit it first would pull a half car and stay there. I got him once and he got me once also.

Evil SS

Established Member
The black panel that says Camaro is trying to be like the the old and new ZL1 camaros. GMMG (a GM contracted indapendant company- think up fitted, as in the SS and SLP) fitted 69 2002 camaros with three levels of performance upgrades(phaseI phaseII and PhaseIII) it ranges from a bolt on car to a ls6 swap to the Phase three. The Phase III ZLI 4th gen Supercar comes with a 427 cid C5-R block, forged internals CNC ls6 heads, wilson intake ect... they make a pump gas underated 600hp. they were 90k. If you ran into one of thoes it would have looked different. A guy who dynoed his put down 618 rwhp sae. Cars come with a mild cam.

BTW- they come with a 3 year 24k warranty!

They are only sold thru Burger Chevy and they are all gone :-(

Last edited:

Slider

aka=Brad
Established Member
Nice death. Good kill. I know a guy in town that has one of those same Camaro's...But he has 430 at the ground. That thing is a BEAST!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread