Raced an MR2

Topherbleh

Beer Master
Established Member
Buddy of mine decided he wanted to check out his modded 93 toyota MR2 against my 97 cobra in a friendly race.

My cobra is all stock (hopefully not for long) except for a MGW shifter.

The MR2 has intake, O/R exhaust, an after market turbo @ 16psi (which sounds sweet) and some other mods like a performance clutch, and suspension.

I got to ride in the mr2 before we went out and knew right away this thing had more pull at 100+ compared to the cobra.

Our first run was from a 80 roll (yeah i know it's rather high) after the third honk we both slammed it. We stayed even for a couple seconds then he slowly pulled away shutting down at about 120 with him 2-3 cars in front of me.

Second run was from a 50 roll on the last honk we both slammed it and again I jumped about 1-2 car lengths on him and he slowly reels me in and passes me when im at about 100 shutting down right after due to traffic.

Last race of the evening was from a dig kind of. I was behind him at a stop sign as we turned onto the highway with the intention of racing. He floored it from the stop with no wheel spin, I didn't want to spin out so i took it easy through the first part of 1st, I heard his blow off valve on his 1-2 shift as i went from about 4k to 6k in first, which put me right next to him. As I shift he starts to pull in 2nd, when I slammed 2nd down I instantly jump and put a car length or two on him. At the top of 3rd gear I had about 2 lengths on him. Once again he started to reel me in and around 100ish he passes me, we shut down about 120 again with him 2 or so lengths in front of me.

All in all it was fun and I was amazed with his MR2 and what he has done with it, it's a beautiful car (and that turbo is wicked sounding). Might not be the best death thread but hopefully someone found it slightly interesting.

We should be going out again soon after I get my 4.10's and full bassani exhaust with o/r x, Which I'm thinking the gears should give me a little more on him. Should have the video camera with us then.

Nice Death's:-D. Hopefully the gears and full exhaust will help ya out, I'm sure it will if you guys were pretty close. Might wanna get a Cai as well to give ya some more ponies.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
What kinda turbo does he have? If he had a stock intercooler then after 1 run it would be heat soaked and he would lose power very fast. Infact if you guys did alot of runs even if he had an aftermarket side mount intercooler it would be heat soaked.

Users who are viewing this thread