Racing Gas?

dmreitz

Established Member
Lansing, IL (Chi. Suburb on Indiana border)
Hey everyone...

What are your thoughts on running 105 octane in the Cobra? I know it is supposed to take premium gas (92-93 octane), but some of the gas stations in the area sell 105 octane as well.

Just curious - I haven't done it, but I'm wondering if there would be issues...

Thoughts?

Thanks...

TopRacer

Why Yellow...? BECAUSE!!
Established Member
Leaded gas will screw up the cats and they will be useless...

One good thing about NJ is Sunoco 94 Ultra :-D :coolman:

AV8R

RiceCooker
Established Member
Originally posted by hoodedsnake
Aren't most racing fuels leaded and what would that do to our engine/cats, if anything.

No, you can purchase 104 octane unleaded gasoline.

dmreitz

Established Member
Originally posted by AV8R

No, you can purchase 104 octane unleaded gasoline.

See, that's what I thought... I have to double check, but I thought it was unleaded gas...

So, I guess back to my original question: Anyone think there would be any issues running 104-105 octane UNLEADED gas in the car?

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
You shouldn't have any problems. I used to run it in a '94 gt that had. Just be careful you don't get the leaded stuff. I accidently put some in my '94 and grenaded my cats 3/4 the way down the track. :punch:

eddy z

Established Member
around by me Clark sells their 100 oct. racing fuel.. I use to run that in my 98 cobra. no issues..

dmreitz

Established Member
Originally posted by 00yellowr
Get a offroad X and run 116, thats my plan..

Aw hell, just go to your local community airport and pick up some av-gas (I think it's something like 125 Octane) - the stuff they use for props - not jets!

Knew a guy that did that once in an Olds 88... overheated his engine 1/2 mile down the road.

slow lane

proud daddy
Established Member
more octane = less power

The higher octane content results in greater resistance to knocks and detonation. Your car will run slower, but you could run higher boost levels with less risk of blowing off your blower. If you want more power, run "regular" gas, but at the risk of wrecking your motor.

YellowJacketTT6

VP fuels has some damn good 90 and 96 octance unleaded oxygenated fuels that are OBDI and OBDII safe.... i run it in my bike, 93 GT, and my buddy runs it in a 96 ferrari 355... no problems, no pinging, no overheating, no computer codes.... man it'll wake your car up

Snoker

Established Member
I can see using 94 to 96 or 97 octane unleaded fuel in the 03's, but any higher I honestly think you will hurt performance. The higher the octane, the way I understand it, the slower burning the fuel. That is why most experts advise using 93 octane in a motor designed for 86 or 87 octance is a waste of money and could hurt performance.

Increases in timing, rpm or boost certainly would suggest higher octane use.

YellowJacketTT6

Originally posted by Snoker
I can see using 94 to 96 or 97 octane unleaded fuel in the 03's, but any higher I honestly think you will hurt performance. The higher the octane, the way I understand it, the slower burning the fuel. That is why most experts advise using 93 octane in a motor designed for 86 or 87 octance is a waste of money and could hurt performance.

Increases in timing, rpm or boost certainly would suggest higher octane use.

Exactly right on.... if you dont absolutely need the higher octane gas, get an UNLEADED low octane oxygenated fuel... I have dyno sheets to prove a 2hp gain on a 600cc sportbike. if you have tweaked the timing, or have excessive pinging, then high octane is for you.. if not, i SWEAR by oxygenated fuels.

Users who are viewing this thread