Racing Simulators - Whose got em?

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member
I am curious to see if there are any members here who have racing simulators. My brother and myself are looking to build a direct drive motion simulator utilizing VR and I thought I would see if anyone here has already dabbled in this arena. The only thing we know so far is that we are leaning towards using a D-Box 2250i system. Cost won’t be cheap, but we are willing to pay for quality and to get the driving experience as close to real-life as possible without spending $50k lol. I think it can be done for $10k-ish.

upload_2018-2-19_16-7-7.png

kb67

Established Member
Premium Member
Check out the sim racing garage on youtube does high end reviews on the top dollar stuff. He just went to a d box setup using a extrusion frame from a sim experience stage 4 rig. He has alot of money in his setup. I just got a fanatec wheel and pedals for a setup. I'm planning on building myself a rig this year. I nearly fell out of the chair after he said how much his d box setup cost uses the strongest actuators was $17K I believe. The sim experience setup he had probably runs $5k with out monitors or pc. I can't justify that kind of money right now.

With the VR stuff do some checking into resolution I think that they still are getting screen door effect with VR. I'm going to do a 1080ti based setup with a rift VR when I can get things lined up.

Also there is a open source 6 axis setup out there that people are building off of I didn't check the cost of that but it looks promising. Be sure to look at the open source wheel its a really nice piece.

331 LX

Established Member
I don't have a full rig like that but I am on my 2nd Fanatec setup in 6 years. I love their products. Like the guy above, I can't justify 5-7k on a setup right now but I can justify a grand on wheel and pedals.

I can't wait for the Mclaren wheel to finally be released. Fanatec had to push it out a month and a half so they gave everyone who pre-ordered a free quick release setup. Good on them. Keep us updated with progress and GL.

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member
I don't have a full rig like that but I am on my 2nd Fanatec setup in 6 years. I love their products. Like the guy above, I can't justify 5-7k on a setup right now but I can justify a grand on wheel and pedals.

I can't wait for the Mclaren wheel to finally be released. Fanatec had to push it out a month and a half so they gave everyone who pre-ordered a free quick release setup. Good on them. Keep us updated with progress and GL.

I really like the Fanatec systems. I hear their next system will be direct drive and I am curious to see what people say about it. I like the OSW route, but it may be smarter to go with a system that more users will eventually adopt and will have greater support for. I watched some videos about the prototype and while it may only be in the 7nm range, the servo was built specifically for sim racing which may make a huge difference.

331 LX

Established Member
I really like the Fanatec systems. I hear their next system will be direct drive and I am curious to see what people say about it. I like the OSW route, but it may be smarter to go with a system that more users will eventually adopt and will have greater support for. I watched some videos about the prototype and while it may only be in the 7nm range, the servo was built specifically for sim racing which may make a huge difference.

I got my 911 GT2 wheel and Clubsport Elite pedals in college years ago and my buddies and I worked it to death... That wheel and pedal setup was still working up until I pulled the trigger on the new setup in November. I couldn't be happier with Fanatec products.

I've heard the same about the direct drive but honestly the new wheel bases are night and day compared to that GT2 I had. My new wheel is whisper quiet and sooooo smooth with the FFB. I couldn't believe the difference. F1 is a real treat to play. Project Cars 2 is hopefully better after patch 4.0.

Just because it's hilarious.. Here is a video of me wearing my MX helmet and gopro ripping up some Dirt Rally on the old setup. LOL

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member
and i still cant find a 1080ti that isnt marked up. Damn miners.

I will more than likely be buying a pre-built system either new or used. Doesn’t make sense to build your own rig right now.

I am not sure he has one. When you have your own race team you don’t even need a simulator. He just meets his crew and cars at the track!!!

kb67

Established Member
Premium Member
I think the osw is going to be a goto for alot of folks first time i ran the clubsport 2 the wheel feedback was hard as hell to deal with. I turned it down to 85% and worked back up to 100%. The pedals are nice but i need to build a setup to get the most out of them I'm jacked up seat position wise and its hard to focus on staying consistent.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

kb67

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm not sure about racing, but if you are into running simulators, check out PUBG.

and i still cant find a 1080ti that isnt marked up. Damn miners.
Supposedly nvidia has a card on the horizon focused toward mining. But who knows if or when that will happen. I have two 980TIs im only running one right now. I'll run them both if 1080TIs don't settle out before i build my new pc

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member
I think the osw is going to be a goto for alot of folks first time i ran the clubsport 2 the wheel feedback was hard as hell to deal with. I turned it down to 85% and worked back up to 100%. The pedals are nice but i need to build a setup to get the most out of them I'm jacked up seat position wise and its hard to focus on staying consistent.

What pedals are you using?

kb67

Established Member
Premium Member
What pedals are you using?
Im using the V3 clubsport pedals i also got the brake mode kit but have not installed it yet. The pedals feel nice but you would probably want to give the brake more firmness but its really a personal perference. The brake mod lets you do that.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I am not sure he has one. When you have your own race team you don’t even need a simulator. He just meets his crew and cars at the track!!!

He has one of thsoe $90k ones I believe.

upload_2018-2-20_14-22-5.png

331 LX

Established Member
Makes sense, they are based in Los Angeles, and I have used one of those. That was what sealed the deal on a motion rig for me. One crucial are where the D-Box shines is that it moves the entire cockpit, not just the seat.

Maybe in 5 years or so they will be somewhat affordable for the avg sim racer. I'd love to give one a whirl, I'm sure that and VR is a game changer.

blk02edge

Established Member
I will more than likely be buying a pre-built system either new or used. Doesn’t make sense to build your own rig right now.

Pretty much all race teams practice on sims :)

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
PubG has been fun as hell but i'm on Xbox.
I love it. I play on PC. I'm still searching for the right duos partner.
I thought about buynig a new tower. It's cheaper.
Supposedly nvidia has a card on the horizon focused toward mining. But who knows if or when that will happen. I have two 980TIs im only running one right now. I'll run them both if 1080TIs don't settle out before i build my new pc
I still dont see the shortages stopping any time soon.

Users who are viewing this thread