Radiator for cobra

Phxcobra

Established Member
Count me as interested in the new hood if it proves to be as effective in reducing temps as indicated.

racebronco2

Established Member
Count me as interested in the new hood if it proves to be as effective in reducing temps as indicated.

The hood as already been proven in temps as high as 107*. Here is just one post where a datalogged in temps of 102 on saturday and 107 on sunday. I drive my car hard, usually shifting close to 6000rpms. I know a few people who don't push their cars and say they never go into limp mode. Most of the cars that i drive against are modded vehicles such vettes, vipers, evos', sti's, 350z'., porsche etc. Here are some video's in case some people don't think i push my car.
This one is in august
[ame=http://videos.streetfire.net/video/cobra-vs-c6zo6-in-the-2_176346.htm]cobra vs c6zo6 in the twistys part 2- Video[/ame]
This one is in july which is usually above 100*
[ame=http://videos.streetfire.net/video/following-a-porsche-gt3_170122.htm]following a porsche gt3- Video[/ame]
Another one in july where temps are in the high 90's
[ame=http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Competition-orange-cobra_127169.htm]Competition orange cobra following a porsche and a- Video[/ame]

camp upshur

Established Member
Racebronco2

Very impressive in all contexts. I have mocked up some louvered vents quite similar to the louverd hood which you previously ran (which are more robust than the ones SVT experimented with back in the day). Could you expound on your experiences with that design and how you progressed to your present style? What prompted the change in design? Did the louvers per se have difficiencies to the degree of shelving the hood? Any comments welcome.

Thanks

racebronco2

Established Member
when will this hood be available?

I will be working on the hood this week even though my engine is ready to be put together. If i put my car together first not sure when the hood will be done. I need to finish the hood first, then it goes to the guy making a mold of it. Then i need to put in supports for the hinges and latch, then it goes overseas for the actaul carbon fiber hood. Then they get shipped back in a container.

racebronco2

Established Member
Ok, i guess i will tell you the aix racers i talked to is paul from tiger racing (since you already brought up his name). As a stated earlier " thru our testing it creates downforce", meaning tiger racing's testing.

Racebronco2

Very impressive in all contexts. I have mocked up some louvered vents quite similar to the louverd hood which you previously ran (which are more robust than the ones SVT experimented with back in the day). Could you expound on your experiences with that design and how you progressed to your present style? What prompted the change in design? Did the louvers per se have difficiencies to the degree of shelving the hood? Any comments welcome.

Thanks

See the above quote. He was talking about adding the louvers and opening up the hood a little more. There might have been some mis-understanding when i wrote the quote. Paul told me thru our discussion that if i made the hood opening bigger it would cause too much tubulence. If i added louvers it would help a little more for cooling but also create downforce.

Last edited:

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
I will be working on the hood this week even though my engine is ready to be put together. If i put my car together first not sure when the hood will be done. I need to finish the hood first, then it goes to the guy making a mold of it. Then i need to put in supports for the hinges and latch, then it goes overseas for the actaul carbon fiber hood. Then they get shipped back in a container.

where to overseas? Europe or Asia?

Venom525RWHP

Established Member
I am running a fluidine rad with modified endtanks for a dual pass setup, custom full size HE in place of the ac condenser, bigger waterpump pulley, home made head cooling mod, oil cooler and a modified steeda splitter with full boxed in ducting. Tune to 18 max timing and AF 11.2 - 11.7.

On really hot days I still have to run the 3.400 upper.

Only thing left for me is to do the hood mod...

racebronco2

Established Member
I am running a fluidine rad with modified endtanks for a dual pass setup, custom full size HE in place of the ac condenser, bigger waterpump pulley, home made head cooling mod, oil cooler and a modified steeda splitter with full boxed in ducting. Tune to 18 max timing and AF 11.2 - 11.7.

On really hot days I still have to run the 3.400 upper.

Only thing left for me is to do the hood mod...

I've been wondering about you lately, no more video's.

I wouldv'e thought that removing the ac condenser wouldv'e helped alot. With such a big h/e what iat2 temps are you running on hot days.

black-plasma

Established Member

BlackStripes

Established Member
C&R produces a lot of different radiators for other 'brands'. Steeda radiators are from C&R. I've used mine for years now, and even though i don't have an 03 cobra, my turbos probably generate similar heat and i haven't had issues.... but i dont think, a radiator by itself will ever be a solution...

Venom525RWHP

Established Member
I've been wondering about you lately, no more video's.

I wouldv'e thought that removing the ac condenser wouldv'e helped alot. With such a big h/e what iat2 temps are you running on hot days.

We moved into our new home last spring and was working on the basement most of the weekends. I only made it to 4 trackdays all summer.

And I think I have one vid for you. It is the one where I lost to a "stock" 01 CamaroSS on an oval track. I will try and post it later...

Yes I know, I also expected more... plus I miss my AC!
During an open lapping day on Dunneville Autodrome last year it was 32C and I saw high 230 ECT's and 145 max for IT2's running the Cobra (3.100 upper setup) pretty hard. Mind you, my buddy in his Viper GTS was obstructing my airflow for atleast 20min's at a time.
Swithing back to the 3.400 dropped the ECT down to 230 max and IT2's to around 140.

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
Which brings me to another question.... How much does clean air flow account for? Can I assume being the second car in a nose to tail stint can be so much hotter? Should I avoid it?

racebronco2

Established Member
It is the one where I lost to a "stock" 01 CamaroSS on an oval track.

Yes I know, I also expected more... plus I miss my AC!
During an open lapping day on Dunneville Autodrome last year it was 32C and I saw high 230 ECT's and 145 max for IT2's running the Cobra (3.100 upper setup) pretty hard. Mind you, my buddy in his Viper GTS was obstructing my airflow for atleast 20min's at a time.
Swithing back to the 3.400 dropped the ECT down to 230 max and IT2's to around 140.

I guess you've have to try harder next time:poke:

That is some really high temps for only 90* outside.

Which brings me to another question.... How much does clean air flow account for? Can I assume being the second car in a nose to tail stint can be so much hotter? Should I avoid it?

I would avoid following a car that close for that long a period. As long as you were aware of the fact that your car might run a little warmer and you kept on eye on the temps it shouldn't be a problem. If temps rose too much just back off a little.

Venom525RWHP

Established Member
I guess you've have to try harder next time:poke:

That is some really high temps for only 90* outside.

I've been running her close to redline most of the time last year everytime I went to a lapping day. How hard are you running yours out on the track?

I would avoid following a car that close for that long a period. As long as you were aware of the fact that your car might run a little warmer and you kept on eye on the temps it shouldn't be a problem. If temps rose too much just back off a little.

2 or 3 laps is usually not a problem on high boost (12Psi), just keep an eye on her. I find that once she gets into the high 230's she would spike all off a sudden on me.

Users who are viewing this thread