Radiator replacment and intercooler tank

frankin

Established Member
My radiator blew and I am replacing it with a Ford Racing direct replacement. My question is can I just unbolt the inter-cooler fill tank and move it out of the way or do I have to remove it and if I just remove the hoses and drain the tank, do I have to bleed the system or can I reconnect the hoses and refill it.

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
You can just unbolt it and move it aside. Also, you can remove the radiator and fan as an assembly. You have to get the geometry just right, but it can be fished out as an assembly. Just be sure to properly burp the system when you fill it back up.

frankin

Established Member
Thanks very much for the information.
I got it out just fine, but had to take the fan shroud assembly out first. I tried to get it out with the assembly on, and just was afraid to cause an issue with the air conditioner lines and the ABS. The service manual was showing disconnecting the harness at the fan motor. I thought this was kind of silly when there was a connector above that on the harness.

Addition to post.
Actually, The diagram in the manual had an arrow pointing further up the harness where the connector was. I'm not a mechanic, but saved a lot of money by doing this myself. The new radiator should arrive tomorrow. I will install fill and burp.
Thanks again wjurls.

Last edited:

Digital

Established Member
Thanks very much for the information.
I got it out just fine, but had to take the fan shroud assembly out first. I tried to get it out with the assembly on, and just was afraid to cause an issue with the air conditioner lines and the ABS. The service manual was showing disconnecting the harness at the fan motor. I thought this was kind of silly when there was a connector above that on the harness.

Addition to post.
Actually, The diagram in the manual had an arrow pointing further up the harness where the connector was. I'm not a mechanic, but saved a lot of money by doing this myself. The new radiator should arrive tomorrow. I will install fill and burp.
Thanks again wjurls.

Good info, if you could post pictures and such I would appreciate it as i'm going to replacing my fan assembly in the coming days.

frankin

Established Member
Radiator Replace

I will post some tomorrow. The new radiator is scheduled to arrive on Friday, I am hoping it gets here tomorrow.

The fan assembly has two 8mm screws going into tab type inserts on the frame of the radiator on each side. First remove the harness. On the harness near the top you will see a connector. It is round on one side and flat on the other. Gentle lift the tabs and pull the connector. You then have to pull all the little plastic inserts holding the harness to the shroud. The shroud will then lift right out. Be careful of the tabs that the screws attach to they get loose and can fall out.

Digital, you have done a lot of work to your car. How much rwhp and torque?

Last edited:

frankin

Established Member
4329982043_075e92ba85_m.jpg

Fan assemble has female connector with tabs that snap into the male end on the engine compartment harness.

4330716522_868fa3d0ce_m.jpg

Engine compartment harness connector.

Two 8mm screws connect the fan shroud assembly to the radiator frame.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread