Raising family, residential area or country

hoamskilet

Established Member
If I had the money to do so, I'd be out of my house and out on a few acres in the country so fast your head would spin

MissionMan

u mad
Established Member
going for a second showing tomorrow without wife, bringing my buddy to give it a good once over without emotions. also contacted a log home restorer that will inspect it for me for a small fee

Machdup1

Established Member
If you can, do it and dont look back. The cities will only get worse in the foreseeable future. Your kids will make new friends.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Let me put it like this. I've NEVER heard of anyone giving up the country life to move to suburbia, and never heard anyone saying they wished they'd grown up in it either.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
going for a second showing tomorrow without wife, bringing my buddy to give it a good once over without emotions. also contacted a log home restorer that will inspect it for me for a small fee

Smart move. Feel free to PM me with any log specific questions, I am no expert but I have lived in a log home for a number of years and am relatively familiar with what's involved. It is pretty cool to have a totally different house from 99% of other people, even with the quirks and expenses.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Coming from Chicago and living in big cities up to about 25 I wasn't big on the idea of being in BFE. Moving to a smaller city and spending a couple years working in WY with way more open land, changed that. Now I can't stand the idea of living downtown in a big city again and will eventually have a house with some property instead of suburbia.

That said, bail and don't look back, cities are only going to get worse.

Last edited:

Blown 89

Established Member
Out here education is vastly superior in the city. I'm sure that varies by area but it's the only thing that would keep me in town.

MissionMan

u mad
Established Member
Out here education is vastly superior in the city. I'm sure that varies by area but it's the only thing that would keep me in town.

literally the exact opposite where I'm from. Specific areas outside of the major cities have the best schools. City schools are brutal especially inner city.

byeofcr

Established Member
Thats a tough one man. It is. Im kinda in the same boat but only mentally for now. I grew up split in white picket fence suburbia and the inner city. The most important thing i got out of suburban living was the bonds i made. Lifelong bonds with friends i consider brothers. We did everything together. And my parents saw that and struggled to make ends meet just so we didnt have to switch schools, they wanted out. a "better" (cheaper) way of life and i dont blame them. My friends back home are paying upwards of 12k a year on their houses in tax alone.

Fast forward and my parents moved out of jersey to nv due to my dads parents living out here. It took me about 10 years after they moved out to finally join them and start my own family.

Let me tell you. I hate it. Hate isnt a strong enough word. Id move back to suburbia new jersey in a second. Contrary to pop culture tv it really is an amazing place to live and grow. My kids are 3 and 2 (about) and i cannot imagine them growing up here. Its transient, brown, dirty, hot as hell, and just boring. Its the worst schools etc. im thinking of relocating to either the country or back to jersey for the very same things you mentioned. But if youre going to do it, do it now while theyre young enough to adapt and move on. I hate everything that isnt where i grew up lol

As stated i think the way things are going getting as far away from cities is a must. I say go for it.

jbs$

Established Member
Some years ago I purchased some land and built a house on a dirt road, on a lake North of Charlotte. The road, which is about three-fourths of a mile long, had one full time resident and two sometimes used weekend houses, life was good. Then, about ten years later, I found myself in the middle of a subdivision, paved road, sewer system, water and a school bus. Some called it progress.

MissionMan

u mad
Established Member
Smart move. Feel free to PM me with any log specific questions, I am no expert but I have lived in a log home for a number of years and am relatively familiar with what's involved. It is pretty cool to have a totally different house from 99% of other people, even with the quirks and expenses.

Pm'd

wjfawb0

Established Member
Rural. I spent 2006 to 2012 in a subdivision. I had great neighbors, but it sucked. I can now weld with the garage door cracked and not worry about blinding kids across the street. I can walk out the backdoor and empty a magazine to make sure a gun is in working order without the cops showing up. I even get to cut TWO ACRES OF GRASS! Ok, I was a little sarcastic when I spoke of the grass. My dogs get to run around inside the two acres I fenced in too. Chase snakes, frogs, lizards, birds, squirrels...

Homestead picture at the embedded link. Don't mind the lack of green. It didn't rain for a month, and I had recently used 2-4-D to kill all the broadleaf weeds.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I'll keep it short. I moved to the sticks when I was 14 y/o. I hated it at first and always wanted to get back to suburbia, where the girls were, and stuff happened. I lived that life for a bit. I raised my son there, but pretty soon the houses seemed to get closer and closer, the dogs barked louder and longer and I reached a point to where I had to get out/back. That was 3 years ago and not once has my wife or son or I regretted it.

Boy I'll tell you what, there is nothing like waking up in the morning, walking out onto your back deck and taking a leak. The people are friendlier, the schools are better, we don't even have a police force and we don't need one. My only regret is not doing it sooner.

ViciousJay

Established Member
I kind of have a little of both, I have a fairly large home on some decent land but if you look out my back yard its the straight country for hundreds of miles.

1o1proof

Established Member
Rural, I can drive to work and to where there are things to do. Closest "big" city to me is 45 miles. Wouldn't live any other way.

Users who are viewing this thread