RAM 1500 Diesel

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
I'm seeing a $3,500 discount off MSRP on a 2022 truck I am interested in locally. Is the price of diesel putting a discount on these trucks or is the 3.0 a turd? Do they pull the mileage 21/29?

Picture1.png

SHOdown220

Established Member
I admittedly don’t know much about the reliability power or mileage of the 3.0 but I’ve been keeping an eye out for a used ram and whenever I see a truck priced lower than expected it typically has that engine. Seems like most don’t have any interest, myself included, in the higher fuel, maintenance and repair costs of a Diesel engine in a 1500. And that seems to drag the value down.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I know there have been a few iterations of the 3.0 since it first came out. The first ones had issues which is why it wasn't initially on the new Rams.
From what I've read across the board from Ford, Chevy and Ram and their 3.0's is that they get great MPG & tow well for a 1500. But then there's the handful of people or service advisors(talked with ford/chevy ones recently) about all the emissions issues that can pop up.

While this is just my train of though, but for 80k, would you rather look at a 2500 unless you don't want that big of a truck?

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
I know there have been a few iterations of the 3.0 since it first came out. The first ones had issues which is why it wasn't initially on the new Rams.
From what I've read across the board from Ford, Chevy and Ram and their 3.0's is that they get great MPG & tow well for a 1500. But then there's the handful of people or service advisors(talked with ford/chevy ones recently) about all the emissions issues that can pop up.

While this is just my train of though, but for 80k, would you rather look at a 2500 unless you don't want that big of a truck?

Don't need a 2500.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Diesel just isn't worth it (unless actually needed for work) with all the current emissions systems and ~$2 premium (vs 87) on the fuel.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Diesel just isn't worth it (unless actually needed for work) with all the current emissions systems and ~$2 premium (vs 87) on the fuel.

Yeah, I know, that balances out against the niceness of the truck and range.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
They are not a bad engine. The problem is they suffer from awful dead pedal in stock form and are not very responsive from a stop.

Once the turbo comes on and you get moving, they have great power, however, and the MPG is as advertised or slightly better.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
They are not a bad engine. The problem is they suffer from awful dead pedal in stock form and are not very responsive from a stop.

Once the turbo comes on and you get moving, they have great power, however, and the MPG is as advertised or slightly better.

Apparently, there is some legal tuning out there to address that.

daustin

Established Member
I have a '21 Laramie 4x4 EcoDiesel and love it. I have had it almost a year now, but don't drive it all that often; I have 3400 miles on it now. I usually only use it to pull my ATV's and my RZR. It has plenty of power to pull what I need it to and definitely better than my '20 F150 2.7 EB did.

As for mileage, if I am not towing, I easily get 23+ mpg in strictly stop and go and I averaged 31.5 mpg on a trip from Vegas to LA and back. I am very happy with it.

Here in Vegas, diesel is priced comparably to 91 octane. In the 3400 miles I have driven it, I have used a 1/2 tank of DEF.

bglf83

Established Member
I have a 2015 Diesel Jetta and a 2016 Diesel Canyon.

The Canyon did experience some emissions problems early but it was a first year model. I think the new ones have all that resolved.

I say all that to say, I would expect the Rams to be solid, it’s not a first year.

I plan to look at a Diesel Wrangler next year with the same motor. I do not see people on the JL forums having issues with them.

As for fuel costs, it’s about the same as premium gas. The big difference with Diesel that you will actually get what the sticker says or better (confirm on Fuelly). Often the mileage separation between a Diesel and a gas truck in real world conditions (e.g., 75 MPH on the highway or driving in the city) is probably 7 or more MPGs (26 mixed vs 19).

The maintenance crap is a myth if you change your own oil. It might cost 1 or 2 dollars more per quart, that’s all. This is not a medium duty 6.7l that holds a crap ton of oil.

I do prefer the way the Diesel drives, especially on the highway. I can drive either of the Diesel vehicles I have over 600 miles (high highway mix) before stopping for fuel, which is really convenient. Even if you do a lot of city miles, you will get 500 miles a tank. I towed a 2 door Jeep Wrangler on a car hauler with the Canyon and still averaged over 20 MPGs on a 400 mile trip while driving 65 mph.

Last edited:

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
$80,000 for a half ton???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I apparently haven't paid attention to half ton prices because I had the same reaction. That's not a whole lot cheaper than I paid for my F450.

bglf83

Established Member
At some point, didn't they change from VM to Fiat engines?

I have not followed super close, I just know the engine that is used beginning in 2020 is not the same as the one used for 2017 and earlier models.

The 2017 and earlier model engine I think turned out to be ok once they changed the Oil spec to be whatever Shell Rotella T6 is. The oil was previously just ACEA C3 which is light duty diesel oil.

Using the original oil, they did have motors die as described. It does not appear to be something that has been reported on the 2020+ models.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
At some point, didn't they change from VM to Fiat engines?

That is my understanding as well. The current mil is the 3rd gen iteration, that "supposedly" has all the bugs works out. It's a modern diesel though, so they all have their problems no matter what.

Users who are viewing this thread