Ram vs Centerforce...Opinions?

striker_29

One Man Gang
Established Member
Ok from what I can tell, most of the guys here seem to be going with the centerforce clutch kit when its time for an upgrade. My buddy who is old school mustang (he's had over 20 through the years including cobras) says that Ram is the way to go. Said he never had a centerforce that didnt slip after some amount of serious launches, but the Ram clutch held up every single time he used it. I dont hear a whole lot about the Ram setup compared to the centerforce with the Terminator crowd, so I wanted to pose the question. Is there any validity to what he is saying "that the centerforce will give me problems"? Which is the superior clutch setup? Tia...striker

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
I have a Ram clutch and I'm not too happy with it right now. I'm probably going
to go with a Centerforce DFX sometime soon. I've only made a few passes on the
Ram and it probably has less than 2,000 miles on it. It's starting to slip already.
My car is making over 600rwhp though so I guess it's to be expected. Hopefully
the DFX will hold better.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Ram 98951T, dual friction style unit.

No problems with it overall, feels great, static pedal pressure is same or a touch lighter than stock.

There are several others running Ram units around here that beat the daylights out of them.

Call Lou @ Laurel Mtn. Mustang, he is well versed in the Ram units.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Zach: Did you feel like your Ram "softened" its bite on takeup, from when you first installed it?

Which unit are you running? (organic, dual friction, or 900series sintered puck?)

Mine has gotten very factory like since its broken in. It still bites like mad, but as far as the takeup/driveoff feel, it no longer chatters or grabs "harsh" like it did.

Let me know.

Thanks.

davidsk5018

Established Member
DFX slipped immediately after installing it, had to send it back to centerforce and they replaced it under warranty. I sold that one and got a Ram. It holds over 600 HP with 6000 RPM launches on ET DRAGS (with a built live axle) and cuts 1.45 60' times.

Cant beat it.

Last edited:

striker_29

One Man Gang
Established Member
Thanks for the replies everybody, I really appreciate it. Seems like some guys have had good and bad experiences with both. So is it just a crapshoot??

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
striker_29 said:
Thanks for the replies everybody, I really appreciate it. Seems like some guys have had good and bad experiences with both. So is it just a crapshoot??

Honestly I would go with the DFX or Dual Friction over the Ram. We have sold over 250 of them in the last year with less than a handfull of problems. Most of which were do to improper adjustment or installation.

I personally run the DF in my car which had a KB@19lbs, Cams and some spay. Never slipped or smelled like it was burning. Stick with what has worked for most people and I would say the majority run the Centerforce with excellent results.

I am also not biased to this as we sell all brand clutches and we will be glad to assist you with anyone of them that you choose to go with. Thanks, Jared

striker_29

One Man Gang
Established Member
Ok, thanks a lot Jared. I'm still undecided, but when I get ready I will definately buy from you guys. You really did me right on my hoosiers. :thumbsup: Any other opinions, are still welcome...

sndmn_2000

Next is a Vette
Established Member
i went and got the LM from centerforce, i dont want too much gripping power since iam only making 400 or so, maybe later its going to be the dfx. When my engine is built

mosconiac

Established Member
There seems to be two different DFX discs (one has more webbing between the pucks than the other) which seems to result in varying levels of chatter. This could explain why some chatter relentlessly and some don't...installation quality could also contribute.

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
mosconiac said:
There seems to be two different DFX discs (one has more webbing between the pucks than the other) which seems to result in varying levels of chatter. This could explain why some chatter relentlessly and some don't...installation quality could also contribute.

I personally have never seen 2 different DFX discs. I believe they are all the same but you never know I could be wrong. I'll check them out at the shop as we have a dozen or so of them and see if there is any difference at all. Jared :beer:

mosconiac

Established Member
Juiced46 and 78mphgpr have both had one of each disc...

P2040269.gif

Also, there is some confusion of which one is their latest version.

Juiced46's "new one" is the one with less webbing and reports that he has less chatter with it.

78mphgpr's "new one" is the one with more webbing.

Mystichrome04 has the one with more webbing and has minimal chatter.

Can anyone confirm which is CF's latest version (with or w/o add'l webbing)?

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Venomous01 said:
^ I would like to know as well
I believe the one with more webbing on it is the newer disc..

Here is a recent pic of a DFX disc and it is one of the more webbed discs.

CFT-DFX10SPLINEKIT_MED.jpg

mosconiac

Established Member
Juiced says his "new" disc (with less webbing) has 4/06 markings so it must be the latest revision, right?!?!?

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
I guess we should call centerforce and see why there are 2 versions of the disc. And how come they are still shipping both of them. The webbing and the springs are obviously different, but what is the benefit?

Here is a pic of my disc that I just put in last week and received last week. You can clearly see the part # and date scratched in right under the yellow sticker

Dave

NEWDFX2.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread