Ran a 09 z06 from a roll....you guys might be mad

Hwy. Chile

Established Member
I'll say this, if the ZL1 is anywhere near as comfortable and quiet as the GT500, it's far more comfortable than the GT-R.
On the whole, I'd say the GT500 is about 3 notches of hyperdrive below the GT-R.
S.

I'm surprised the GT-R isn't so comfortable. I assumed with all its gizmology that it would more ergonomic too.

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
Put it this way...it's not uncomfortable.
But it rides more roughly, has more tire roar (stock RFT's), the engine buzzes more because of the steeper gearing and it's just...more hard edged than the GT500. The GT500 feels like a more relaxed car.
All the "gizmology" is cool, but it's not like the GT500 is ill equipped.
Also, the Recaros in the GT-R Black Edition are much better than those in the GT500 (and they're power).
S.

Hwy. Chile

Established Member
Put it this way...it's not uncomfortable.
But it rides more roughly, has more tire roar (stock RFT's), the engine buzzes more because of the steeper gearing and it's just...more hard edged than the GT500. The GT500 feels like a more relaxed car.
All the "gizmology" is cool, but it's not like the GT500 is ill equipped.
Also, the Recaros in the GT-R Black Edition are much better than those in the GT500 (and they're power).
S.

Which would you prefer as a daily driver? I'm guessing the GT500. :shrug:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Lol at Z06s being 10 second cars.

Over 500 passes from 2005 till now at the fastest track in the country in 40 degree / negative 2000 DA conditions from two seasoned drag racers.

NO one will duplicate it, anywhere else in the country. But if those passes are what proves its a faster car, so be it. :)

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
LMAO...what?
You are dead wrong. The "big record setting GTRs" have not had their AWD or "deactived or removed", and I'm unsure where in the world you even came up with this. :D

Oops. My bad. I forgot that the GTR didn't exist in the world (or the U.S. gray market) before this current model. Perhaps you jumped on the GTR bandwagon after this current model hit the States?

BTW, it only takes a few seconds to enter "RWD GTR" in Google or Youtube. The "SVM Hulk" GTR was converted to RWD and set a world record [for a GTR] 218.xMPH in the 1 mile run. And there happen to be plenty of other videos on Youtube with GTRs converted to RWD.

Last edited:

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
Oops. My bad. I forgot that the GTR didn't exist in the world (or the U.S. gray market) before this current model. Perhaps you jumped on the GTR bandwagon after this current model hit the States?

BTW, it only takes a few seconds to enter "RWD GTR" in Google or Youtube. The "SVM Hulk" GTR was converted to RWD and set a world record [for a GTR] 218.xMPH in the 1 mile run. And there happen to be plenty of other videos on Youtube with GTRs converted to RWD.
Are you serious?
Clearly, this discussion was about the R35 GT-R, which is the only production GT-R sold by Nissan in the US. And the SVM car was converted to a selectable AWD/RWD setup, not dedicated RWD:
The six speed manual gearbox, which sends power to all four wheels, is supplied by Albins. It's a four-wheel drive system can be switched to rear-wheel drive mode only in order to warm the tires before a burnout. That is of course just the start of long list of all the specific pieces of equipment installed on the car. Needless to say, the total bill costs a fortune.
So no...all the "big record setting" GT-R's relevant to this discussion have not had the AWD systems deactivate or removed. You are wrong. If you think you aren't, pick up the phone and call AMS, Forged, BL or a number of other top builders/tuners and find out for yourself. We're not discussing grey market, righthand-drive R32-R34 cars.

And who cares when I "jumped on the bandwagon". I have two GT-R's and you have none. I think I know enough to offer an educated response about a car I own.
:rollseyes
S.

Traincollector

Established Member
2012-03-24_10-52-00_429 - YouTube
Just to make things interesting, here is a video of a stock ZO6 with drag radials who challenged my friend's 2011 GT500. He said his license plate was "SN8KLLR" and if he won my friend should remove his emblems. I said, my truck has a Viper engine (SRT-10 Ram) and maybe he should try to kill me first(my engine is pure stock with exhaust, ported intake, TB and tune, but with substantial weight reduction on race day, I weigh 4170 without me in it). So we raced....he went 12.59 @119... and I went 11.67 @117... the DA was about 1200' ...plus he was way late on the tree , so it was a complete humiliation......the voices on the recording were his friends, needless to say they were shocked. This was not my first win over a ZO6, in fact I have raced 4 (a total of 6 races) and have never lost (I also beat a ZR1 twice, but it was the owners first time at the strip and he was OLD, like me, I'm 65). So like most of the discussion here, it really depends on the driver and the setup. I'm just sayin.....on any given day! Be sure to turn the sound up and hear the shifts!

Last edited:

FNBADAZ06

Established Member
he was OLD, like me, I'm 65).

I race with a couple guys who are in their late 60's....one just recently turned 70.

Good on ya for living large and running hard ....hope I'm still able when I reach that age :beer:

I just went to a non-prep "street wars" drag race at Speedworld on Saturday here in Phoenix. A warm, very muggy night, with DA's at 3800. Had the Hoosier's on, but still managed a best 1.80 60' time with spinning out to the 50-60' mark. After brushing off the rust on my first pass, I ran 3 more passes in the 11.50-11.60 range between 123 and 125 MPH, with ECT's at 220 and IAT's at 108.

The 70 year old was running 11.60's at 121.....destroying a new ZL1 Camaro in the process (new owner....no track experience).

Not too shabby for running a mid-summer drag race event here in Phoenix.

FNBADAZ06

Established Member
At the risk of being excommunicated from the GT-R community, yes, the GT500 would be quieter, more comfortable and probably my preference. But either would do fine for DD use.
S.

Impressive list of cars you own.
Question.......why two GT-R's ?

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
I have a house in Florida and a house in New Jersey. My '12 Black Edition is in Florida. My '13 Blue Premium is in New Jersey. Some cars are down there, some are up here.
S.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Are you serious?
Clearly, this discussion was about the R35 GT-R, which is the only production GT-R sold by Nissan in the US. And the SVM car was converted to a selectable AWD/RWD setup, not dedicated RWD:

So no...all the "big record setting" GT-R's relevant to this discussion have not had the AWD systems deactivate or removed. You are wrong. If you think you aren't, pick up the phone and call AMS, Forged, BL or a number of other top builders/tuners and find out for yourself. We're not discussing grey market, righthand-drive R32-R34 cars.

And who cares when I "jumped on the bandwagon". I have two GT-R's and you have none. I think I know enough to offer an educated response about a car I own.
:rollseyes
S.

<sigh>

Wouldn't flipping a switch to turn off the AWD be deactivating it?:bored: I think I'll take your advice and call those companies to see if they have any AWD [R35 to keep you happy] GTRs running faster than 218MPH in the mile. Mkay?

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
<sigh>

Wouldn't flipping a switch to turn off the AWD be deactivating it?:bored: I think I'll take your advice and call those companies to see if they have any AWD [R35 to keep you happy] GTRs running faster than 218MPH in the mile. Mkay?
I think you should. Then you'd realize how you're talking out of your ass with your claim that the "big record setting GTRs" were RWD. And the 218 "top speed" that the SVM car ran? It was in AWD. :nonono:
And BTW, AMS went 233 mph in the standing mile in Texas this spring.

When you're wrong, you should just admit it instead of flailing around like a buckshot duck.

And again, LMFAO!!!
GT Premi said:
Ever notice in videos of stock GTRs taking off, the only thing you can really hear is the tires; like electric cars? The engine/exhaust is barely audible off the line. I'm not making any statements or declarations here, but I wonder if they haven't hidden some kind of electric boost motor or KERS type system in the transmission. They've been known to "cheat" before.
:lol:
Yeah...Nissan hid some shit in there and didn't tell anybody about it. It's so secret they don't even tell the GT-R master techs and service about it or put it in the crash manual.
:lol:
S.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Nevermind. :rollseyes: A GTR's not even worth arguing over. If I liked them that much, I'd have a membership on a GTR forum. :bored:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread