Random Check Fuel Fill Inlet Message

helloWorld

Established Member
I got a random "Check Fuel Fill Inlet" message today. No DTC codes present visually or checking with my X4. Car has about 65,000 miles on it and all of the mods are in my description.

I got out and checked the fuel door, cleaned around the gasket, stuck the funnel into the fuel inlet several times and I am still getting the message.

Do you guys know the common issues that cause this or how to troubleshoot this?

GBCoyote

Established Member
Usually from people trying to fill up that last 2 dollars of gas to get the free hot dog from inside the store. When the pump clicks off, don't put any more gas in it. It's filling up the charcoal canister for the fuel evap.

Option two, your exhaust could have melted the line running next to it under the car. Slide up under it and look for a hose melted.

helloWorld

Established Member
Thank you GBCoyote for the response!

I checked the HX pinpoint tests in the Ford service manual. One of the first things it said to check was the EVAP purge valve. It is normally closed and usually reads 13.5 to 24.5 Ohms.

I was reading 23.2 Ohms on it, so it is on the high side. Next, it told me to do a vacuum test on the valve. I took a syringe and pulled vacuum on both ports. The purge valve was NOT holding vacuum on both ports. So, I have placed an order for a new purge valve from Tasca.

I figured that was the cheapest place to start with. If not, I will have to check the charcoal canister or the vent solenoid.

Tx5.0

Established Member
Check that plastic vent tube! Mine melted shut, so I just cut it with some wire cutters and fuel flow was back to normal. Cost is free.

t660

Established Member
I had this problem when I bought my car, eventually threw P0442 code. Took it back to the dealer and they replaced the line that they said was melted. Light ended up coming back and they wouldn't do anything about it. I'll be following this thread to see where it goes.

Check that plastic vent tube! Mine melted shut, so I just cut it with some wire cutters and fuel flow was back to normal. Cost is free.

Are you referring to that tube that is just open and doesn't lead anywhere?

Myusername

Established Member
Ha, how funny, I just had this issue this week. My capless filler flap was open. It looked closed but was slightly open. The return spring to close it was wore out and it wouldn't shut all the way after I took the nozzle out. Had to replace the entire fuel fill line. It was about $107 bucks and another 60 for the stupid plastic piece that's around it. The tabs broke off when I was removing it. My car has 57k on it.

helloWorld

Established Member
My new purge valve shows up tomorrow. I'll install it and then do a more thorough check of all of the tubing at the rear end of the car.

helloWorld

Established Member
Well, I wish I had some important revelation to give everybody, but the issue literally fixed itself. I did not do a KAM reset nor did I reload any tunes. The "check fuel fill inlet" message just stopped coming up. Even when I force a system self-test, the message does not appear.

The only things I did were take the original purge valve out (which did fail vacuum testing), cleaned the valve a little bit, put some dielectric grease on the o-rings, reattached the original purge valve, and filled up with E-85 once.

My new purge valve did arrive, but I am not going to put it in until I get the message again. I did check the EVAP tubing in the rear of the car and I did not see anything melted or otherwise suspicious looking. That metal flap in the fuel fill inlet also appears to be seating correctly.

helloWorld

Established Member
Update for you guys. The fuel fill inlet message came back after about a week. So, I put in the new purge valve which immediately took care of the warning message.

However, about another week after that, I actually got my first check engine lights for the evap leak. P0442 and P0456 to be exact. I brought it into Ford and they did a leak test using a smoke machine and determined that my fuel tank filler neck assembly was leaking.

That is being replaced today and I will let you guys know how that goes.

AKDMB

Established Member
Ever have any issues with the car trying to stall after fill up? I have been dealing with this on my 3.7 for a while, no CEL's though, thinking of swapping the purge valve too. Thanks for posting about pinpoint test HX, couldn't seem to find which one was for EVAP.

helloWorld

Established Member
@ AKDMB, no I have not experienced any stalling after a fill up. You are welcome about the pinpoint test, anything I can do to help!

Myusername

Established Member
SO what's the deal with these capless fuel fillers? Just bought a 2011 5.0?

Mine I guess you could say was wore out. I fill my tank up from empty every other day. Car has 57k on it. I got the message one night after I filled up and looked at the filler cap and noticed it wasn't shut all the way. Barely noticed it but noticed it. The return spring just got wore out I guess.

helloWorld

Established Member
If you want the maximum lifespan out of them, I have two suggestions. First, never try to top off. When the pump nozzle clicks off the first time, you are done. Second, never wiggle the pump nozzle around once it is inserted into the filler neck. Try to insert and remove in one fluid motion.

My filler neck had slight tears in it, probably caused by the pump nozzle.

Users who are viewing this thread